AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local stereo shop last Saturday to see if they had the new line of Onkyo receivers. I wanted to see if they had the Onkyo TX-SR507 in stock but the salesman told me they didn't plan to stock the 507s until they got rid of there 506s. The price was right, $399.00 and I'm sure I could talk him down a bit more since I was thinking of also buying a blu-ray player. I did my research and the 506 just lacks the ability to decode HD audio but otherwise was a decent receiver. I was planning of also purchase a Blu-Ray player that can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio so if the Blu-Ray player was doing the decoding would it make a difference if my AV Receiver didn't as long as it has HDMI inputs?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Well first of all $399 is way too much especially if you're talking US dollars. Also, the 506 will not pass LPCM from your PS3 so don't expect HD audio through HDMI. It does pass video through HDMI but that's it. For this price you can do alot better....

Sorry, just saw you're in Canada. Anyway...the price is average for Canada but it will still not live up to your expectations as far as HD audio through HDMI goes.

If I were you I'd go into my local FS and look for a discontinued model from last year. Look for the Yamaha HTR-6140/6150/6160 as they will all give you the performance you're looking for.

Here's a used Onkyo TX-SR605 for $360

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/16991352

Jeez, you can get a new Onkyo 607 for just a little more than that. I paid $330 for my 606 a year ago.

The new 507s do what you need, but you might go cheaper with Pioneer VSX-819/919

This is in Canada....and it's also assuming he lowballed the guys offer a bit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Th e 506 is a good basic receiver, and if set up properly with the right blu-ray you sort of force feed the hd codes to it by pre processing them in the player. This does not sound as good as actually getting the receiver to decode HD audio. , having said that the 506 is a better receiver than the 507. I say this with personal experience. regardless of what the website says, there is a reason for the weight difference. I am already selling the 507 for $350 usd. I strongly agree that you should think about the 607, the money you will save on extra audio cables (506 does not handle audio over HDMI) comes pretty close to justifying the cost difference. The 607 is also just cool. HDMI in the front,

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCinTN /forum/post/16992175

The 506 is a good basic receiver, and if set up properly with the right blu-ray you sort of force feed the hd codes to it by pre processing them in the player.

?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts