AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, long story short, I happened into some cash over the holiday and jumped on a great deal on a Mitsu HC5500 that I really didn't think I'd be able to afford (figured I'd be stuck with SD for 2009).

I've been day dreaming about having a 2.40:1 screen for *years*. Now that I suddenly have the projector, I'm at a loss as to where to go from here, or if just your basic X-Large 1.85:1 or 16:9 screen with removable velvet mask for 2.40:1 would be better.

What I have:

Older Yammi Dolby Digital receiver that I'm considering upgrading to Onkyo with upscaling.

HTPC with 4.5TB of (almost filled) space that will need an HD Video card

Playstation 3 received as X-mas gift

Brand new, just sitting on a coffee table HC5500

Old 82" 4:3 Da-Lite Glass Bead screen, but I have a 5' X 10' DW Laminate on the way.

And I have a large living room that is for all intents a theater/media room with 95% light control:

So, I guess I'm looking for the more experienced CIH users/builders to offer me some suggestions to research. I already have a projector ceiling mount kit, and 30' HDMI. I just need some idea of what my options are, so I can research and see which suits me and my budget the best. I'm open to setting up the projector however needs to be done to make this work. I'm pretty good at DIY, so making the screen how I want it is no problem either. And the ceiling will eventually be darkened with paint and some room treatment.

Right now I'm leaning towards X-large 1.85:1 screen and just using removable velvet masking when I watch 2.40:1 movies...but I *want* CIH. At least, I think I want CIH.
It seems the more I read, the more confused I get. So please, help me narrow things down, knowing what I have in my setup?

HELP?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I think the HC5500's lens has a zoom range that is too small for the zoom method to work. I suppose that you could physically move the projector closer and farther, but that would probably be too much hassle.

Another CIH method is adding an anamorphic lens and scaling the image.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/15483909

I think the HC5500's lens has a zoom range that is too small for the zoom method to work. I suppose that you could physically move the projector closer and farther, but that would probably be too much hassle.

Another CIH method is adding an anamorphic lens and scaling the image.

The Lens does seem the only option...and I know this projector has scaling that I read was intended for anamorphic lenses...but I"m at a loss beyond that point.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
If you are wanting your screen to remain in the blue area, then the limiting factor is height. In that case, you`d get around 33% more screen width by going with a 2.4:1 screen paired with an anamorphic lens. Not sure if your new projector has a `letterbox` option, but if it does then it will do the vertical stretch. Pair it up with a lens that does horizontal stretch and you`re set.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster /forum/post/15484080

If you are wanting your screen to remain in the blue area, then the limiting factor is height. In that case, you`d get around 33% more screen width by going with a 2.4:1 screen paired with an anamorphic lens. Not sure if your new projector has a `letterbox` option, but if it does then it will do the vertical stretch. Pair it up with a lens that does horizontal stretch and you`re set.

Awesome, that sounds like the info I've been lacking and/or not understanding.

Yes, my projector does vertical stretch.

So what are my option for horizontal stretch lens?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Depends on your budget. You can go DIY with trophy prisms for short money. If your willing to spend about $600 bucks check out Home Theater Brothers for an economy lens. Otherwise look at the for sale sections and you might find a used lens, if not your looking at about $1500.00 on up. Good luck.

Link for HTB
http://www.hometheaterbrothers.com/23901.html

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I have a HTB lens and now that I have it tweaked the picture is pretty awesome. This is the way to go if you`re wanting good quality and doing it on the cheap. Or try to find a used Panamorph or something like that.

At any rate, the cinemascope or super widescreen picture that you get with a lens just makes movie watching so much better and more immersive. This is the real theater experience imho.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Of all the hundreds of upgrades I've made to my Home Theater over the past 6 years - non can compare w/going CIH. I only wish I had done it 3 years ago - when I was first exposed to it.

I agree. It truly gives the REAL Theater experience.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Also check into the CAX lens he has an affordable HE lens. I use a Panamorph vertical compression lens that I leave in place and love it. Do CIH now and do not wish you had later...I went 16/9 when I first built my screen wall thinking I would do CIH some day and then about 6 months later I was stuck with a small screen just permanently masked my 16/9 screen for 2.40:1 and now am rebuilding the whole room for a 10' 2.40:1 AT screen.

Nate

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 /forum/post/15485692

Also check into the CAX lens he has an affordable HE lens. I use a Panamorph vertical compression lens that I leave in place and love it. Do CIH now and do not wish you had later...I went 16/9 when I first built my screen wall thinking I would do CIH some day and then about 6 months later I was stuck with a small screen just permanently masked my 16/9 screen for 2.40:1 and now am rebuilding the whole room for a 10' 2.40:1 AT screen.

Nate

The home theater brothers is within my budget...and I have a 10' wide piece of Laminate already on it's way...so that may be the way for me to go!

Thanks for the leads guys, I'm going to do some reaserch with the info you've helped me narrow down!

If anyone already has a CIH setup with an HC5500, I'm hip to hear about it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts