AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a new flat panel TV and know that the speakers are not going to do what we need partially just because of the speakers they put into the TV's and also because the TV will be partially in an alcove that won't allow the sound to get to the listening position properly.

So, I am thinking of building a DIY soundbar using full range or possibly co-axial speakers. Problem is the amplification. The ideal amp would auto-on/off and have a way to control volume that can be programmed into a remote. I am having a hard time finding something that doesn't break the bank.

I don't need a lot of power and it could even be a mono amp.

My DIY speaker will not be something that will be made to blow away everything that's out there, but I am considering building it into a TV stand/equipment rack. If I want great sound, I will just go watch in my theater, this is just to get "passable" sound from the new TV.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a Subwoofer plate-amp with remote, but there are not many around that are cheap, if any.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The answer depends on the available audio outputs. The simplest situation is using variable analog audio outputs from the TV. The only brand that I know of that offers this is Sony. If this is the case then all you need is a simple stereo amplifier. The TV remote will control the volume.

Trying to direct the headphone output (if available) into an amplifier input will not work well. You will hear audio, but the frequency spectrum will be distorted. I have already tried this with a CD player.

You can also use analog stereo output from the cable box, but this will typically result in a very noticeable 60ms video lag behind the audio. This can be corrected with most digital A/V receivers, but hard to do with a DIY amplifier.

Unfortunately, just about any other TV brand will only offer digital optical audio output which means that you have to buy a compatible amplifier/receiver. I just went through all this myself, trying in vain to use my old stereo receiver on my new TV. I ended up having to buy a new A/V receiver even though I am just listening to 2-speaker stereo sound.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof /forum/post/19569609

I am going to be buying a new flat panel TV and know that the speakers are not going to do what we need partially just because of the speakers they put into the TV's and also because the TV will be partially in an alcove that won't allow the sound to get to the listening position properly.

So, I am thinking of building a DIY soundbar using full range or possibly co-axial speakers. Problem is the amplification. The ideal amp would auto-on/off and have a way to control volume that can be programmed into a remote. I am having a hard time finding something that doesn't break the bank.

I don't need a lot of power and it could even be a mono amp.

My DIY speaker will not be something that will be made to blow away everything that's out there, but I am considering building it into a TV stand/equipment rack. If I want great sound, I will just go watch in my theater, this is just to get "passable" sound from the new TV.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a Subwoofer plate-amp with remote, but there are not many around that are cheap, if any.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DelJ, thanks for the input. I have not looked at a lot of TV's yet, but because of your comments, I started looking at Crutchfield to see what kind of outputs the TV's have on them. I was shocked to find that many don't even have an analog audio output. That makes it harder, obviously. I may have to abandon my hope of making a soundbar and go with a pre-made one that has the audio inputs available.

That sucks.

Only other option I am seeing is to tap into the speaker wiring for the built-in speakers, which will probably void a warranty.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I wouldn't do that! :)

Having said that, I share in your frustration at the incredibly premature loss of analog audio outputs. Why is it that we can't have analog audio, but still have AM radio????????????

There is at least one optical to analog audio adapter that is compatible with a digital surround sound outputs (important!), unfortunately it is expensive (~$100) and reviews suggest that it often fails after a few months.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof /forum/post/19575441

...Only other option I am seeing is to tap into the speaker wiring for the built-in speakers, which will probably void a warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts