AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a Samsung HLN series HDTV and an Onkyo Surround setup, and I am considering getting a DVD player with DVI output. However, audio and MP3 CDs are also very important to me.

Are there any DVD players with DVI video output which can also play MP3 and more important, regular audio CDs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
generalnmx:

Welcome to AVS Forum!

Most of the new upscaling DVI-input DVD players will play MP3s and CDs and most of them will play a bunch of other formats too. I have a 50" DLP and use a Bravo D1 (the Bravo D2 will be out in a few weeks - February according to V Inc - for about $250). The next generation Samsung should be out soon with a fix for its black crush problem and its non-anamorphic disc playback problem. There are others ranging in price up to $2K (e.g., the Denon 5900). However, those more expensive DVI DVD players IMHO compromise either the video or the hi-res audio (they also play DVD-Audio and SACD). So, for me (and my advice to you :D) the high priced players are just not ready. In fact, I believe that we should separate the hi-res audio from the video - this is what I have done. I use the Bravo D1 for video only and use a $700 DVD player and a $250 Outlaw ICBM for hi-res audio.

So my advice is to stick with a less expensive DVI player for now.

·
Registered
15,695 Posts
If you have an old DVD to hold you for a few months, I'd recommend waiting for the next generation DVI-Out players. At the CES show, many different brands were displayed (including Toshiba, Panasonic, Philips, Denon, and 2 new Samsung models).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, and the quick response!

We have two laptops and a PS2 to hold us out, so we should be fine. But I can't wait to see that DVI output!

·
Registered
67 Posts
A Momitsu V880 would be another choice for an inexpensive player with DVI output. It will play MP3, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, etc. Check out the Momitsu threads.

Byron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.