Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last year I was doing very well with a new job that promised to secure future for many years to come. Then the company lost its contract with NBC due to budget cuts leaving me in a layoff. I got work at first then it all dried up. When things were just starting out I bought a great Sony 1270 projector with only 50 hours on the new tubes from a company in Tennessee. It was the best thing I ever bought and it brings me a lot of pleasure. Unfortunately if I can't guarantee myself a decent job in the next few days I am going to have to sell the projector. I don't see any way around it now.

I am not a dealer. Just a forum member. Anything you want to know about any experiences I have had with the projector can be found by reading through the fifty or so posts archived in the forum I made before and after I purchased it. I haven't decided for sure to sell it but I guess I am interested in seeing if anyone is interested. I understand that good projectors are hard to come by and this is about as good as they get. I live in Los Angeles and would prefer to sell to someone local who can come see it if possible. However I do have an enormous rolling anvil shipping case that came with it if shipping were arranged.

The idea of selling it makes me nauseous but there are bills are piling up over my head and I am seeing no way out. You can write me here or privately at [email protected] to express interest or make an offer. I think I'll have to decide on Tuesday whether I can bail my self out some other way.

Robin

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I agree with Brian. Selling your projector would only be a short-term band-aid anyway. Then, not much later, you could be in the same boat, but without a projector - then how will you feel?

Can you suck it up and do something crappy until the right thing comes along again? It seems as if the economy is moving along again, although not as before.

Let us know if there's anything we can do?!?!

SC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I have been sucking it up since before January and have nothing left to suck. Last week I had a box of potato buds in the cupboard and that was about it.

Of course I am game to work if someone here thinks they might have work for me. Ideally any lowly P.A. work would thrill me. If anyone in the LA area has immediate need of someone with a vast background in animatronics, moldmaking, makeup, props with major motion pictures like Seven, Robocop, Titanic, Wind Talkers, Planet of the Apes. Photoshop and vector graphics programs, print graphics expertise, animation, professional motion graphics video and Network television experience, general office, sales and shipping experience. I have done mountains of work for Disney. I am not stuck up about just doing studio work though its preferable. I will do just about anything with the exception of telemarketing . I even tried that but couldn't bring myself to entice elderly people to come to the Elk Lodge to enroll in Real Estate and Insurance programs. I am training to work with an inventory service that pays $7.50 an hour 45 hours a month. And if I am lucky get called in to work once or twice a week doing office work for ten an hour with a temp agency. So I am taking small jobs as I can get them I typically visit as many as ten companies a day and submit three applications a day on average. I submitted aps this week to Home Depot, Blockbuster Video, Forest Lawn Cemetary and the local retail stereo stores like Fry's. I think the small companys see how much I used to get paid and think I wouldn't be happy. But frankly if I could get twelve bucks an hour somewhere I'd stick around. Eventually I need to make $15 to be comfortable. The bigger companies and studios haven't been in a major hiring mode or I don't fit what they need. I came very close to landing the perfect job at the beginning of the month doing photo retouching for packaging and movie/dvd posters etc. But am waiting for them to land a big job so they can add the new staff. I am doing everything I think I am supposed to be doing. Last year I had three jobs at once and none of them wanted me to leave. Now its hard to get an interview.

I know anyone with a projector knows how much it would suck to sell it. Its a choice between the car, the projector and DVDs. I already sold the my digital camera and laptop. Selling things is a bad solution but sometimes its the only one.

Robin

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey,

I'm truly sorry to hear of your trouble and I'm really sad to hear you may sell your projector.

It's just in my case selling my projector would buy me only a handfull to days time, so I'm never gonna sell it.

I wish I knew of job oppurtunities for you.

Good Luck,

Brian

ps. What DVD's do you got? (Just kidding, ...sort of)

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Maybe send an email to Darrell @hammerheadtech. He's in Chico , Ca. Maybe he can direct you to someone in the A/V area...

Curt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the tip Curt.

Brian,

I have about 180 DVDs I think. I could send you a list. I suppose I would want 10 bucks a title with a couple exceptions. Sopranos, Walkabout and Sullivan's Travels standing out as something I would have to price different.

Robin

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey,

You can send a list to my email at [email protected]

If you have DVD's I don't have 10/per title sounds fine. I had Walkabout on my wishlist for a long time when I used to have a wishlist (can't get enough Jenny Agutter.)

You could also list your projector (and even the DVD's actually) in the classifieds here. I'll see if I know anyone who's interested around here. LA is not too far to go from here to save on the hassle of shipping and so on.

Good Luck,

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.