Registered
2,571 Posts
I hate you.

(not really, I'm just jealous as he11!) :D

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Art,

I'm wondering how big is your room. Whats missing in the bass you now have. Since you are using four subs and something is missing I think you should rethink the whole sub thing.

Why not get into a system that gives you what bass you need. While Triad makes some nice stuff and the SVS gets tons of raves here.....you need real bass.

You need multiple drivers,multiple amps. You need DIY! sell off those subs you have now and look to overkill that room.Quit "just meeting your demands". IB is a good start.

Go to the dark side D-I-Y :cool:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Art,

Maybe you could convince Jeff that it is time to upgrade?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
Art,

I'm wondering how big is your room. Whats missing in the bass you now have. Since you are using four subs and something is missing I think you should rethink the whole sub thing.

Why not get into a system that gives you what bass you need. While Triad makes some nice stuff and the SVS gets tons of raves here.....you need real bass.

You need multiple drivers,multiple amps. You need DIY! sell off those subs you have now and look to overkill that room.Quit "just meeting your demands". IB is a good start.

Go to the dark side D-I-Y :cool:
(sigh) c'mon kg.......you know my dual Ultra/2 hit harder than your quad sealed Tumults.....and my room is even bigger than yours. :p

All ribbing aside (which you richly deserved I might add), I'm with you - too many individual subs spoils the mix. Nix the in-walls and the cylinder and go dual Plus/2 for $2500. If the DIY bug bites, then definitely go IB if you have the adjacent space and some halfway decent carpentry skills.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
SVS are a great value but I think a theater like Art's deserves more.

The PB12 from Tom Danley (servodrive) looks very impressive

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/PB12.html

10db more than the Contrabass in the 20-30hz range and the plots only cross when it dips down to ~16hz. I can't think of any prebuilt sub that comes close.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
That danely sub looks promising.It would be nice to hear from an owner to get a feel of things.

:eek: First off, Mullen, If I get them all running in the same phase.and the center ch is wired correctly,and my hernia heals properly...YOU'LL SEE.I'll use my (your) fancy microphone and....ya...we'll see.........(mumbling under my breath) You just keep looking through your screen door, dark green.....blah,blah,blah.

I'll reditto my post.Build it your self.Or bite the bullet and pick up a couple of those 12PB thingies Is he shipping those subs yet.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Any downsides or advice as to the merit or lack of in such a move.
The first thing I thought of and since it has been mentioned, is to come up with a plan that doesn't include running differently tuned subs along with sticking with the same brand...whatever that might be.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Say Art:

You'll want to pay attention, or have Ken help you, as to placement, because if you place a bunch of subs willy nilly you could end up with not much more bass than you had before. A lot of sources makes things complicated...

You might want to consider replacing stuff you have with some B4s or something, or a servodrive or something that will really rock the house without having half a dozen subs around the room.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Quote:
First off, Mullen, If I get them all running in the same phase.and the center ch is wired correctly,and my hernia heals properly...YOU'LL SEE....
Don't forget about those new RMX 1450 amps you're planning to replace those poor Adcoms - you'll need every advantage in the book......and while your at it, stay away from my subs with any sharp objects.....;)

Seriously Art - your theater is amazing, but it IS quite large. Adding multiple single driver subwoofers (you're contemplating a total of six) with different drivers, FRs, tuning points, etc. isn't the most efficient or effective approach.

What is the volume of the theater in ft3, what is your desired deep extension point (be realistic in a theater that large), and what is your desired clean/uncompressed SPL at the seats?

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Art,

Did you install your HT or was it done professionally. Dual CRT's. That is one hell of a room.To think my room can hold three people or four kids.That is one venue.

Is that a first floor theater or basement. Start thinking of what response you are looking to get out of your new subs. Like how low and what SPL at that frequency.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Art-

Maybe you could take your 16-46 sub and experiment with it to get a feel for the effect of adding more SVS subs. Which driver is in the SVS? How much room do you have for the subs? What's the volume of your room?

Thanks,

·
Registered
27,208 Posts
Art,

Gotta agree with the sentiments here that this may not be something an SVS system can accomplish. No manufacturer can be all things to all people (and all rooms). You've gotta very large room and limted space behind your screen wall (I am sure you want these out of site). Depending on the area behind your screen wall, you could accomodate a pair of Contras, a pair of B-DEAPs or one of Danley's new designs. I have to assume you want big SPLs in the low, low frequencies. It can be done...but unfortunately, big SPLs in the low frequencies cost! Glad to hear you are interested in bolstering your low end. I may have to again invite myself up to hear the new set up :D!!

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone ! I'm on my way out for a little vacation so I'm sorry to not respond to all of the posts here yet.

Jeff, you know my room and yes the area behind the screen is limited to about 20 " or so of usable depth but I have a liitle latitude depending on the design at the corners.

Yes, I want all hidden if possible. As always ,you have been my inspiration but I don't yet need to try to nip at your heels or anything. It is just that like anything in this hobby( or any other ) it is an addicting journey. I hear, I feel, I habituate I want more. :D

I was looking at this as an interim step. I had talked to Mark but he said last month he would have something for me. This would perhaps, along with Ken to aid me, get me some breathing room till I research more. My knowledge here is sub par..... :D

PS Jeff would you respond to my PMs during my lifetime ?!

Art

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
A couple dual SVS boxes would certainly vastly improve what you've got (they'd improve almost anything), but in that size room it's worth considering Mark and Tom's tapped horn, as suggested...might be easier to hide

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I want all hidden if possible.
If you have the adjacent space and you want hidden bass, then definitely go IB. I'm thinking quad 18" for a room that size.

Based on the Yates data for the Contra (re-normalized back to 2 meters in 1/2 space), it's about as powerful as an Ultra/2 down to 25 Hz, and then has about a 2-4 dB advantage at 20 Hz (in distortion limited output).

For example, according to Yates, the Contra is showing about 105 dB @ 20 Hz @ 11% THD @ 2 meters. The last Ultra/2 I tested ran anywhere from 101-103 dB under the same conditions, depending on the tune.

I would expect the Contra to be stronger at 16 Hz by a good margin, as the Ultra/2 isn't really designed to troll that deep with maximum efficiency.

If you want to look at passive, Mark Seaton acknowledges that a B4-Plus would be considerably stronger than a Contra at/above 20 Hz. If the new tapped horn from Danley proves to truly be 10 dB stronger (at the same distortion limits) than the Contra, then that would certainly be worth looking at.

In a theater that size, you want to focus on strong/clean/uncompressed bass to 22-23 Hz. If you really want to fill that size room with infrasonics at/near reference level, it will cost big money if you will be using conventional subs. That is why IB is still very attractive - you can get the infrasonics and big output across the board without spending a ton of $$$.

·
Registered
27,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn
PS Jeff would you respond to my PMs during my lifetime ?!

Art
OOPS...I am bad about my PMs. I think I have 5 unread at the moment.

We are still on for Dinner (Ruth's Chris) for Saturday night at CEDIA. Then on to the Runco party!!!! Thanks for responding to my party invite. We are going to miss you and Angela.

With 20", the newer B-DEAP is about 16" deep and plays a bit lower than my two. A pair of these and a couple Crown K2 amps and you'd be set for a very long time!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.