AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I originally had a 40GB PS3 1.5 years ago that I returned in favor of a Xbox 360 (Jasper). I did so primarily b/c of the LIVE gaming continuity as well as, at the time, there were more games on the 360 that I wanted to play. Also, multiplats were still appreciably better on the 360.

Now, I'm almost done w/ redoing my basement for a kids play room / home theater room. Of course I need a Blu-Ray player so I'm once again considering a PS3. I can probably get 100 bucks for my 360 if I go ahead and pull the trigger.

So ....

What has changed since I first had my PS3? Are the games improved since than? I've read about Crysis being PC quality, Dragon Age: Origins being graphically superior to the 360, Uncharted 2 being the best visual game out there, GOW3 coming out soon, etc.

Are these correct observations?

How is the reliability of the new Slim models?

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well, from a home theater perspective, the Slims can now bitstream HD codecs...and they STILL have blu ray.

Games are equal to the 360s in terms of quality for the most part. I haven't seen any real under-performing multiplats on the PS3 in the past year or so. PS3 has some high quality exclusives (as does the 360) and for the time being, online play on the PS3 is still free.

I own both, but the PS3 is my console of choice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had the PS3 Slim since launch and I haven't had any issues with mine. I primarily use it for move watching and the occasional gaming. I used to have some of the early generation standalone blu-ray players and video gaming aside the PS3 stands head shoulders above.

I don't know what's been improved over the last couple years with the standalones regarding the rediculously slow load times etc.

My $0.02

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I've had a Slim since launch too and the only issue that I might have is a bad USB port. I keep my Nyko IR dongle in there for controlling blu-ray playback, and I've been switching it out with the dongle needed for the Buzz Quiz buzzers. The last time I tried plugging in the buzzer dongle, it wasn't recognizing the buzzers. I had to fuss with it a bit to get it to work, and the same thing later when I was trying to watch a movie using the Nyko controls.

I haven't had time to really look at it, but I think the port is going and may need to be fixed. My only issue so far.

I own both a 360 and PS3, and if I had to choose between the two, I would without a doubt go with a PS3. I wasn't a huge fan of the Slim's look when it came out, but it certainly has grown on me.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 /forum/post/18154718

I've had a Slim since launch too and the only issue that I might have is a bad USB port. I keep my Nyko IR dongle in there for controlling blu-ray playback, and I've been switching it out with the dongle needed for the Buzz Quiz buzzers. The last time I tried plugging in the buzzer dongle, it wasn't recognizing the buzzers. I had to fuss with it a bit to get it to work, and the same thing later when I was trying to watch a movie using the Nyko controls.

I haven't had time to really look at it, but I think the port is going and may need to be fixed. My only issue so far.

I own both a 360 and PS3, and if I had to choose between the two, I would without a doubt go with a PS3. I wasn't a huge fan of the Slim's look when it came out, but it certainly has grown on me.

I use the logitech adapter for my harmony 880 remote and for the most part it works. The problems I seem to have are more with the harmony remote programming than the PS3.

I haven't had any problems with either of the USB ports with my Buzz remotes (I just have 4 of them) I just wish there were more USB ports.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/18153525

Hey Gang,

I originally had a 40GB PS3 1.5 years ago that I returned in favor of a Xbox 360 (Jasper). I did so primarily b/c of the LIVE gaming continuity as well as, at the time, there were more games on the 360 that I wanted to play. Also, multiplats were still appreciably better on the 360.

Now, I'm almost done w/ redoing my basement for a kids play room / home theater room. Of course I need a Blu-Ray player so I'm once again considering a PS3. I can probably get 100 bucks for my 360 if I go ahead and pull the trigger.

So ....

What has changed since I first had my PS3? Are the games improved since than? I've read about Crysis being PC quality, Dragon Age: Origins being graphically superior to the 360, Uncharted 2 being the best visual game out there, GOW3 coming out soon, etc.

Are these correct observations?

How is the reliability of the new Slim models?

Thanks !

Why choose? Keep the 360 and get a slim too! That's what all those inputs are for on the TV. I just got a slim so it's too soon for me to comment on long term reliability. I can tell you this though: There are many game segments where my fat 60GB went into high fan mode, but the slim stays dead quiet. Now's definitely time to get a PS3. The hardware runs cooler, is queiter, and now is cheaper.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/18161127

I am psyched !!!

Also, I'm thrilled that Dragon Age: Origins looks better on the PS3 - I didn't buy it on the 360 b/c it looked poor.

Textures looka little better but the 360 runs smoother. I passed on the PS3 version figuring having a smoother framerate for 60 hours was important.

I looked at this comparision to make sure the 360 looked good enough:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/623...ml?sid=6239466

I liked the extra "depth" in the textures, but it also darkened everything!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just got a new slim last week to replace my YLOD'd 60. Everything seems good with it so far, but the plastic seems to make cracking and popping sounds when I first turn it on.

Anyone else get these noises from a new slim?

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne /forum/post/18162222

I just got a new slim last week to replace my YLOD'd 60. Everything seems good with it so far, but the plastic seems to make cracking and popping sounds when I first turn it on.

+1

all else is good

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a PS3 slim as well, it would be replacing a 60gig PS3 for gaming and the 60gig would be my new main blu-ray player. (My Panasonic bd35 and Panasonic bd60 are slow to load and don't work with a few movies)

My only concern is transfering those darn copy protected save files to the new console.

(I've had too many 360's die on me, so I just don't use it anymore. My current 360's disc drive is very moody, it only works when the planets align a certain way. So I get everything on the PS3 at this point)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
This isn't an issue anymore. As long as both consoles are up and running, you can transfer all game saves via the LAN transfer feature introduced in FW 3.15. Simply connect the two consoles with an ethernet cable and you're off and running.

Switching the HDDs might create an issue though, if you upgraded your old console's hdd and want to put it in the slim, and the slim's in your old.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne /forum/post/18162222

My slim cracked loudly and very frequently when I 1st got it..5 months ago. Over time it has diminished in loudness and frequency, but still makes cracking noises.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. /forum/post/18160839

Why choose? Keep the 360 and get a slim too! That's what all those inputs are for on the TV. I just got a slim so it's too soon for me to comment on long term reliability. I can tell you this though: There are many game segments where my fat 60GB went into high fan mode, but the slim stays dead quiet. Now's definitely time to get a PS3. The hardware runs cooler, is queiter, and now is cheaper.

Can't keep them both. This is all part of a basement remodel - between the remodeling, furniture, etc. the well runs dry. Had to defray the cost somehow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.