AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently considering picking up a pair of Polk Rti70's for a great price, but only have a day to decide before the guy puts them up on a forum or something for sale. My current setup is as follows:

HK AVR 247

Polk CS1 center

Polk 2 x R15 R/L

Polk 2 x R15 Surrounds

Infinity Perfect 430w sub in homemade box

I originally bought the CS1 center when I was considering eventually upgrading to the Monitor 50's for fronts and Monitor 40's for rears. However, the deal on these Rti70's is awesome. The problem is, I have never heard these speakers at all. I have listened to the Monitor 50s and think that I would be happy with those in my HT, but how do the Rti70's sound compared to them? I would be using them for 50% music, 50% games. Would the CS1 match the Rti series at all or would it sound bad?

Also, the speakers come with a 10 year replacement plan through CC so if they crap out on me I get the new Rti series

Any input would be MUCH appreciated as I have about a day to decide. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldus /forum/post/0

I'm currently considering picking up a pair of Polk Rti70's for a great price, but only have a day to decide before the guy puts them up on a forum or something for sale. My current setup is as follows:

HK AVR 247

Polk CS1 center

Polk 2 x R15 R/L

Polk 2 x R15 Surrounds

Infinity Perfect 430w sub in homemade box

I originally bought the CS1 center when I was considering eventually upgrading to the Monitor 50's for fronts and Monitor 40's for rears. However, the deal on these Rti70's is awesome. The problem is, I have never heard these speakers at all. I have listened to the Monitor 50s and think that I would be happy with those in my HT, but how do the Rti70's sound compared to them? I would be using them for 50% music, 50% games. Would the CS1 match the Rti series at all or would it sound bad?

Also, the speakers come with a 10 year replacement plan through CC so if they crap out on me I get the new Rti series

Any input would be MUCH appreciated as I have about a day to decide. Thanks in advance!

If the price is right, the RTi70s are the way to go...many feel they are better than the RTi8s which replaced them...if you can find one a CSi30 or 40 is the correct center...both are nice...the 40 is great, but large. GL

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/0

If the price is right, the RTi70s are the way to go...many feel they are better than the RTi8s which replaced them...if you can find one a CSi30 or 40 is the correct center...both are nice...the 40 is great, but large. GL

Well, I believe that the price is right (right around $400 for the pair). Now I'm just wondering how bad my CS1 is going to mix with these fronts? Meaning, am I going to be blown away by the sound of the Rti70's and be so disappointed by how the CS1 sounds now that I will be forced to go out and spend another few hundred bucks on a new center? I would really like to buy some speakers that would match my center... or at least be close. Would these be close?

Also, do you know of anywhere off the top of your head where I can read about the Rti70's? I haven't found much around AVSForum or Google, only the things that are on Polk's website (which I think are probably biased because all of the reviews on their site are 4.2+/5 stars).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The CS1 is a match for the Monitor line, but I don't think it will suck compared to the RTi70s. I haven't heard the 70s, but I've been told they are warmer than the 8s, which I have tried. I thought they were a great speaker, but on some content the tweets got a tad harsh. So the 70s to me sound like an upgrade. The difference between the current Monitor line centers and the CSi lineup is imaging and brightness, in my opinion, but I did try the CS1 and liked it. There are CSi30s and 40s up on ebay from time to time going from $125-$200, you could easily swapout your CS1 without too much outlay at your leisure. $400 is about right for 70s if they are in good shape.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnfx13 /forum/post/0

Gosh! 10 year replacement from CC. I didn't even know they offer that kind of warranty.

Yeah, I didn't either. It actually isn't even listed on their site, but I called CC today to confirm with his Order # and it is indeed valid for 10 years. They said that they do offer the 10 year program on some speakers. Thats a hell of a deal, I just wonder how much it cost him?

·
Registered
422 Posts
The only problem with the 10 year warranty is that they will replace the speaker with one from the current line up. I read a story on here about a guy who had his RTi line Polks with the CC warranty and when he tried to get a driver/crossover or something fixed they offered him a Monitor Series as a replacement. Never mind that the Monitor line is half the retail price of the RTi.

Back to the op, if you can get the 70's at a good price, jump on them. I have an entire RTi 7ch set up and absolutely love it. I also agree that if you can fit the CSi40, and find one to do so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlowie /forum/post/0

Back to the op, if you can get the 70's at a good price, jump on them. I have an entire RTi 7ch set up and absolutely love it. I also agree that if you can fit the CSi40, and find one to do so.

Would $300 be a good price for the pair? Or how much should I expect to pay for them?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldus /forum/post/0

Would $300 be a good price for the pair? Or how much should I expect to pay for them?

$300 would be a great price for them in mint condition, very good price with some wear. The ones I've seen on Club Polk have gone to members from between $350-400, about the same price as used RTi8s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.