AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was chasing some information on the advantages of using the sony PC- 12XX series switcher. I'm in the market for one, and I know the value is in the IFB cards, can anyone elaborate on the functionality of these units, and the 'worthiness' of a space in a rack. I have a G70, and a length of the CCQ-10BRS P165 14 pin remote cable. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of the sony 14pin cable vs the regular RGB connectivity. I can vaguely remember reading here somewhere of the bandwidth limitations of the sony cable vs RGB, but cannot be sure.

In short should I consider a purchase, or is there another (economical) alternative, I only have HTPC and Momie to worry about at the moment, will this future-proof me for a while or is it an antiquated bit of kit?

Your collective thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I like mine - the only limitation would be in bandwidth, - think it is around 100, maybe 110Mhz - enough for everything up to 960p, or possibly 1080p at a low frequency. Not antiquated unless you are planning to upgrade to a 9" and feed it 1080p at 72HZ. I love mine - I can feed HTPC, scaler output, and HD box thru the switcher, with no hassles. The NEC 6010s are better, but also harder to find, and usually more money.

I got mine for around 50 bucks on the bay; some members have gotten them for less loaded with cards and the doubler. Try to hold out for the 1271, instead of the 1270 - slightly more bandwidth.

No idea re the cable question; but it is a beautifully functional unit, works exactly as one would expect - no surprises, and for me, is totally transparent. I'm running a 980 Ultra, either at HD res or 960p, and have not seen any loss. (i'm sure there probably are, but there are no artifacts sufficiently distracting to capture the attention of myself and/or my wife.) - and I'm only hedging, because I'm sure there is someone who has one who HAS had visible degradatiion - but I'm not seeing enough with my 1271 to notice it. Nice unit - if everything CRT worked as nicely, there wouldn't be as many bulb proponents in the world.

Oh - just read your addy - there is even a guy in Brizzie with all the pieces you should need - he helped me with a card.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Jon. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Plus, it works with ALL pjs - a big plus to me - while I love my pj, if I live long enough, I'll probably end up with something else. And as another plus - not as relevant to you, but a big plus to non Sony owners, with the 1271 switcher, I can still make use of the Sony DVI cards floating around, without having to buy a G70. - WOuld also be a way for Clarence to get DVI into all the pjs he runs, instead of buying a card for each one. ;)

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I'd get the Sony switcher for the G70, but stick with the RGBHV cable and add a separate control cable (3.5mm headphone jack = easy).

If you've ever cut apart one of the Sony 14pin cables you'll understand why...

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
There are lots of alternatives. Punch in 'extron' on e Bay and you'll see buckets of them. THE NEC 6010 and 6020 switchers are super nice too, but hard to find with lots of boards in them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my PC-1271 on e Bay with two analog RGB cards and three composite / S-Video cards for $15, then another $30 for that 14-pin cable.

I can hardly claim to be an expert, but I like it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
I've already got DVI for all of my projectors without needing a card for each one. I really like the dtrovision.
must be getting senile - I knew you had one, but I remembered you saying it had "sparklies." I've been wrong before, might even be wrong again if I live long enough :p

·
Premium Member
16,948 Posts
I got sparklies from another DVI box that I tested, but not from the dtrovision. No sparklies or white crushing on the dtrovision that I bought. I do turn down Brightness and Contrast compared to the settings I use with the transcoders, but the color and detail is very impressive. I haven't tested the touted hdcp capabilities yet. I don't have any hdcp protected sources... only unprotected channels on my HD cable DVR and DVI from the Momitsu. DVI-D through the dtrovision looks MUCH better than DVI-I (via HD15 adapter) straight out of the Momitsu.

And just to bring this a little closer to the original topic, I also tested one of the handmade DVI-IFBs, but it was after I sold my 1271, so I did a quick test in a friend's Sony switcher but we couldn't get a signal output when it was in the switcher. He'd just completed his HT, so he didn't want to risk popping a beta IFB directly into his D50.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
And just to bring this a little closer to the original topic, I also tested one of the handmade DVI-IFBs, but it was after I sold my 1271, so I did a quick test in a friend's Sony switcher but we couldn't get a signal output when it was in the switcher. He'd just completed his HT, so he didn't want to risk popping a beta IFB directly into his D50.
Fair enough - I have spoken with the maker of the DVI-IFB, and he assured me it would work in the 1271. Haven't tried it myself, so I could have been passing on errant information. As they said back at Yasgurs's farm, "You can take this with however many grains of salt you want." I'm still waiting for one, so I CAN verify it's abilities myself.

Back on-topic, I have used inexpensive Extron switchers from the bay, I prefer the Sony, but since I the only new switcher I have used was a cheap VGA only piece of junk, my experience could easily be a factor of the age and condition of the switch, rather than an indictment of any particular model or brand.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
I have spoken with the maker of the DVI-IFB
FlyingVee, Which unit is this, as I recollect there are two different dvi-ifb boards for sale? thx don

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Mike sells the one up in the AVS power buy section - looks perfect to me, and he sounds like he knows what he is doing. Terry has had one running at 1080p, fwiw. The ad should still be in Power Buys, if you go back a few monthes.

·
Premium Member
16,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee
Mike sells the one up in the AVS power buy section - looks perfect to me, and he sounds like he knows what he is doing. Terry has had one running at 1080p, fwiw. The ad should still be in Power Buys, if you go back a few months.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=516040

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
I'd get the Sony switcher for the G70, but stick with the RGBHV cable and add a separate control cable (3.5mm headphone jack = easy).

If you've ever cut apart one of the Sony 14pin cables you'll understand why...

You're right about that. If you're hooking up a 1271 switcher, you should use BOTH the 5BNC cables AND the 14 pin cable for menu control of the switcher. As for bandwidth, it's been determined that the "B" connection (the one that holds the IFB-40 input) actually produces a BETTER picture than the "A" input, even though the "B" input is only rated at 70MHz.

The Sony switcher are the best ones to use with the "D" and "G" series projectors.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
The B input is just the slot number right?

So the best thing to do is add an IFB-11 to slot B, and run decent 5 x RG6 or RG59 coax from the switcher. Then you get a better cables and the better input slot.

Then add the 14pin cable or a stereo 3.5mm minijack cable for control.

Do you have to flick a 5-bnc mode switch somewhere (in a menu probably) like on a 12xx pj?

That said I do like the NEC switcher better. Variable output gain and multiple output card capable (I have 3), better bandwidth. But it won't integrate with a G70 so well.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
The B input is just the slot number right?

So the best thing to do is add an IFB-11 to slot B, and run decent 5 x RG6 or RG59 coax from the switcher. Then you get a better cables and the better input slot.

Then add the 14pin cable or a stereo 3.5mm minijack cable for control.

Do you have to flick a 5-bnc mode switch somewhere (in a menu probably) like on a 12xx pj?

That said I do like the NEC switcher better. Variable output gain and multiple output card capable (I have 3), better bandwidth. But it won't integrate with a G70 so well.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but on a G70 you only have ONE slot, which comes from the factory with an IFB-40 board that has the 14 pin connector. If you wanted to a a separate IFB-11 or 12A card, you would have to remove the IFB-40 and so you wouldn't have any switcher control.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Yup, I mean remove the IFB-40.

Can you add a 3.5mm minijack control cable like you can on a 12xx series pj? Does the G70 have two little "headphone" sockets labled something like "Control" and "Remote"? The switcher does.

This is how I had my 1251 setup with a 1270 switcher : 5 x coax + "headphone cable" gave me control over the switcher (or vice versa depending on how you plug the headphone cable) and decent cables.

Do you follow what I'm trying to get at Bruce?

I would avoid the 14 pin cable like the plague given the choice - thin coax, connectors aren't 75ohms....yucky...

Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.