AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank all here that helped me find the HTiB that I bought for my family for Xmas. I love my Sony HT 7200DH. And for the price I paid I really am happy.

After my family unwrapped the 7200DH on Xmas morning, I set it up with just the fronts, center, and sub. I left it like that for a few days. Then I connected the rears and started 'messing' with my old TV stand. Unhappy with the old stand, I bought a new one and set it up leaving the front speakers on the floor and the rears on the end tables (I was still waiting for the speaker stands that I bought from Monoprice to arrive). I did an 'auto calibration' and all sounded good.

I got my package from Monoprice and set the front speakers up on stands and wired the front and center speakers with 14 gauge wire. I have watched a movie or two and a bit of TV on the set up as it is now and I think that the center channel is a bit too weak for me. Now, I should state that I haven't re-calibrated the system (which would probably make a big difference since the fronts are more at ear height now). I also haven't played with the settings for the center channel.

Just messing around, I have been looking at some other center channel speakers that have at least two speakers in them (some with two woofers and one tweater). I just wanted some opinions from others if a different center channel would make a big difference. Budget is a big concern, which is why I will do another calibration before throwing money at a problem that might not be real. I already spent a bit more then I budgeted for the system, then I bought stands, wire and cables.... And then I bought the new TV stand.

Figuring my speaker cases are black wood grain, I was looking at the Sony SS-CN5000 for around $80, the http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...6/klipsch-sc-5 for about $100, and the RC1 Center Channel Speaker for $50.

I just figured that I would ask for some input. I know that I should do another calibration before I even ask. But I can't help but feel that the current center channel speaker, which is the same size as all of the rest of the speakers (3"), can't really produce more or clearer sound then all of the rest.

So, what do you guys think?

-Ken

Oops... I neglected to mention that the 7200DH comes with 6 Ohm speakers and that the system puts out '160W x 5channels'. I think that all of the speakers that I linked to are 8 Ohms. I believe that they will work, but would take %33 more power to run. I am guessing that they will pull more Watts then the Amp can provide at %75 of max volume. I don't know what the max volume of my system is, could I just turn it up to max on a input with no sound being input and see? Then I would know where the magic %75 mark is, so I can stay below it. Something is telling me that I won't really come close to the max volume, but with two teenagers in the house, I don't know what will happen when I am not around, so I figured that I would ask.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
A good center speaker makes a big difference - however, it should match the front two speakers as well. It would sound too distracting if you're watching a movie and the sound pans from the tiny left to the big center and over to the tiny right speaker.

You should replace all three in front. This won't break the bank: http://www.thespeakercompany.com/LCR...ers-P39C6.aspx

...and you could even round the whole thing out and still not spend too much: http://www.thespeakercompany.com/P5-...air-P42C6.aspx

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't consider how unbalanced it could sound in a situation like you suggested. While the pieces you suggested seem pretty reasonably priced, I'd rather not make that big of a leap. The stands I have now seem pretty much maxed out by the current speakers, replacing all of the speakers would necessitate replacing all of the stands. That would bring the final price to a good deal higher then I would like to go. I really am very happy with the system overall, I just want to be able to hear voices a bit better.

With any luck, I will do the auto-calibration tomorrow and I will again be happy with the center channel. If not, I will read up on how to adjust each speakers output individually. If that fails, I will look for a smaller center channel. Or, perhaps a larger center that was balanced 'down' to more closely match the rest of the speakers.

Each day I spend here I learn more and more about how complex these systems are. I thank you for taking the time to explain some of these aspects to me.

-Ken

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I had the HT-7000DH (grandfather of the 7200) a couple of years ago. IIRC, I went into the menu system and manually bumped up the level of the center speaker by a couple of dB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts