AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my use is 95% TV, movies, and games and my current setup speakers are Klipsch RF-52 l/r, RC-35, RB-61 surrounds, and a SVS PB-1000 sub. I was thinking about getting RF-62's and RC-62 up front for a matching system but I got thinking maybe something less bright would be nice. The SVS Prime line looks nice but I know there's a lot of others too. What would you guys recommend for a less bright, less fatiguing, upgrade to the Klipsch for $1550 or less for all 5 speakers? For reference I listened to KEF LS50's today and really liked them (but $1500/pr) and the store also had Cambridge S30's that sounded pretty great for $1300 less. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
How about a pair of Martin Logan Motion 15, Motion 8 center, and Motion 2 surrounds. Not nearly as bright as the Klipsch speakers but still crystal clear with all that beautiful high end detail and airiness. I do love the sound of ribbon style tweeters. As an alternative you could go with a pair of Chane A3rx-c, A2rx-c center channel and a pair of Chane A1rx-c surrounds. The split-gap woofers in combination with the Planar tweeter is a great combination.

Reactions: Squirrel!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll have to read about both of those a bit.
My initial short list is SVS Prime because of the 45 day trial and good initial reviews and Ascend 340's or Sierra 1's because they have both been highly reviewed and recommended on here.

I'm not positive about going with bookshelves as a lot of my movies and games are action genre and I sometimes turn my sub off at night because I'm in a condo.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'll have to read about both of those a bit.
My initial short list is SVS Prime because of the 45 day trial and good initial reviews and Ascend 340's or Sierra 1's because they have both been highly reviewed and recommended on here.

I'm not positive about going with bookshelves as a lot of my movies and games are action genre and I sometimes turn my sub off at night because I'm in a condo.

In that case the Chane speakers would be tailor made for you as the split-gap woofers create more bass than you'd expect. Check out these reviews: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...r-evaluation-home-audition-event-results.html and : http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...reviews/65546-arx-a1b-a2b-speaker-review.html

Reactions: Squirrel!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In that case the Chane speakers would be tailor made for you as the split-gap woofers create more bass than you'd expect. Check out these reviews: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...r-evaluation-home-audition-event-results.html and : http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...reviews/65546-arx-a1b-a2b-speaker-review.html
Thanks! So the current considerations are these:
SVS Prime Towers, Center, Sats
SVS Prime Bookshelves, Center, Sats
Chane A3rx-c, A2rx-c, A1rx-c
Ascend Sierra 1's, Sierra 1-c, 170's or 200's
Ascend Sierra 340's, 340-c, 170's or 200's

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Supposedly the new Klipsch Premiere series is less bright than the Reference II series, so they could be something to look into. A new front sound stage with the RP-160M and RP-450C would run you $1250.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Thanks! So the current considerations are these:
SVS Prime Towers, Center, Sats
SVS Prime Bookshelves, Center, Sats
Chane A3rx-c, A2rx-c, A1rx-c
Ascend Sierra 1's, Sierra 1-c, 170's or 200's
Ascend Sierra 340's, 340-c, 170's or 200's
I have experience with the Ascend speakers you are considering. The CMT-340SE would be the closest to a tower that you could achieve (essentially a mini-tower). However, it doesn't dig that deep at 40 Hz. It would excel with output compared to the other speakers. The Sierra-1s are the best in your list of the Ascend options and they have a very decent low end. What is your actual budget and room size?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have experience with the Ascend speakers you are considering. The CMT-340SE would be the closest to a tower that you could achieve (essentially a mini-tower). However, it doesn't dig that deep at 40 Hz. It would excel with output compared to the other speakers. The Sierra-1s are the best in your list of the Ascend options and they have a very decent low end. What is your actual budget and room size?
I have my fronts (RF-52's) crossed at either 60hz or 80hz (can't remember) and they provide enough punch when my sub is off and actually considered selling the sub. The room itself is about 25x15x9 but the "living room" area is more like 12x15x9. For now I figured I would set the budget at the SVS package price of $1550. Less is better of course but they all look to fall $1050-1550.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I listend to the SVS Prime bookshelf model this weekend. I really liked them, very smooth sound and not overly forward. I preferred them over the Klipsch and B&W 686s2. I am deciding between the SVS Prime and NHT Classic Three. I May have to see if I can talk the Wife into adding the Ascends to the list.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
E
I have my fronts (RF-52's) crossed at either 60hz or 80hz (can't remember) and they provide enough punch when my sub is off and actually considered selling the sub. The room itself is about 25x15x9 but the "living room" area is more like 12x15x9. For now I figured I would set the budget at the SVS package price of $1550. Less is better of course but they all look to fall $1050-1550.
That's a fairly large room. I haven't listened to the SVS speakers but they are obviously well reviewed. I would be inclined to go with the CMT-340SEs and CMT-340SE Center if you decide on the Ascends. If you listened to a larger percentage of music the Sierras would be the better choice. Although, both are great at music and movies.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
E

That's a fairly large room. I haven't listened to the SVS speakers but they are obviously well reviewed. I would be inclined to go with the CMT-340SEs and CMT-340SE Center if you decide on the Ascends. If you listened to a larger percentage of music the Sierras would be the better choice. Although, both are great at music and movies.
Any specific reason you'd recommend the 340's over the Sierras? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Any specific reason you'd recommend the 340's over the Sierras? Just curious.
The recommendation is based on output due to the size of your room. The CMT-340SEs win on this front with dual 6.5 in drivers. On the other hand, if you don't expect to listen at higher volumes much then the Sierras would work. Obviously, the Sierras have the superior SQ.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The recommendation is based on output due to the size of your room. The CMT-340SEs win on this front with dual 6.5 in drivers. On the other hand, if you don't expect to listen at higher volumes much then the Sierras would work. Obviously, the Sierras have the superior SQ.
OK thanks. I sit about 12' from the fronts and the surrounds are basically at the ends of my couch so it's all pretty close in the current setup. I don't think I crank them up all that loud but I've never taken measurements. The 340's are cheaper with more output but I'd wonder if they would be more a lateral move compared to the Klipsch instead of an upgrade? Then I wonder if the Sierras would have the punch I like which makes me look at the SVS towers lol. I was actually surprised listening to bookshelves yesterday at some of the bass they did produce. If all companies had the trial period that SVS has I'd just buy them all to test.

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK thanks. I sit about 12' from the fronts and the surrounds are basically at the ends of my couch so it's all pretty close in the current setup. I don't think I crank them up all that loud but I've never taken measurements. The 340's are cheaper with more output but I'd wonder if they would be more a lateral move compared to the Klipsch instead of an upgrade? Then I wonder if the Sierras would have the punch I like which makes me look at the SVS towers lol. I was actually surprised listening to bookshelves yesterday at some of the bass they did produce. If all companies had the trial period that SVS has I'd just buy them all to test.
Chane offers a 30-day trial period as well. You have to pay return shipping but I don't think that would happen once you hear them.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Ascend Acoustics has a 30 day trial period.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Chane offers a 30-day trial period as well. You have to pay return shipping but I don't think that would happen once you hear them.
Ascend Acoustics has a 30 day trial period.
I'm just concerned about the cost and hassle of shipping both of these back if I would like the SVS best! And sadly I'm not knowledgeable enough to write a review comparing them all if I would get them.

Anyone around Chicago that wants to split buying speakers to audition?!

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I see that you recently sold a pair of Sierras. Can I ask the reason and what you upgraded to? I'm heavily leaning toward buying all B-stock Sierra1's and HTM 200's. Also what stand did you use for yours?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts