AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering this peice as the processor for my dedicated HT.

Who is using it? Does it do everything it says it will?

How is the soud quality?

Give me the good, bad and ugly on this unit please.

Thanks.

-Phil

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Good - You can get either the Integra version or the Onkyo Pro PRSC885P version. They're the same other than a few differences to the front panels.

The Bad - Both are in high demand. Makes them harder to find and you may have to put your name on a waiting list.

Everything I've read from users of both say that the units work as advertised and they have excellent sound quality.

I placed an order on Friday for the Onkyo version and hope to have it mid-Feb. Pairing it with an Atlantic Technology A2000 amp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have the 9.8 for about three weeks now with no complaints. i replaced my anthem avm 30 with it for the new audio codecs and hdmi. sound quality is as good as my anthem and picture quality was noticeably better. i am assuming because of the reon video processing. but i also went from component hookup to hdmi connection. the anthem cost me twice as much money so i'd say the integra is a good buy. i've had no glitches with it and am happy so far. hope this helps . the only bad thing i see is towards the back of the unit runs a little hot but it states this right on top. i left plenty of breathing room for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
love mine . dont use the processor in the 9.8 pass vid through , I have a lumagen and crt that have been isf , sound is awsome . have it paired with butler 5 channel tube amp . i went from a lexicon to the 9.8

good luck and have fun

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 /forum/post/12943689

I am considering this peice as the processor for my dedicated HT.

Who is using it? Does it do everything it says it will?

How is the soud quality?

Give me the good, bad and ugly on this unit please.

Thanks.

-Phil

Did you look at these ongoing threads yet? If not you probably will find answers to your questions in one of them.

One is for the DTC-9.8, and the other one is for the Onkyo version the PR-SC885.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=873877

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=881652

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have the 9.8 with a ice power 7 channel amp, ps3, oppo 980 hd, and everything works great. i think it is a bargain for what all you get.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank guys.

Johnla - I did see those threads. However, the one about one about the 9.8 has over 7000 replies. So reading through it, there was a lot of "fluff". I was hoping to get a few replies with impressions of performance. There was a lot of talk in the other threads about availability and speculation of what the unit would actually do.

So, the few replies I got here so far was exactly what I was looking for. The bottom line.

I think I have decided on: the DTC-9.8 and (4) Crown XLS-402D's.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I too would like to hear the good, bad, and ugly.

Typically the 'official' threads have the major info updated in the OP. That is not the case for the Integra 9.8 ... and the thread is 250+ pages

I'm wondering what issues still exist with the current firmware (1.4). Any more Reon problems? Do we have full customization ala the Onkyo 905 now, etc.?

Any other problems, not related to firmware? I read someone saying the analog section isn't very good in another thread. What was that in reference to?

Setup suggestions, links?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT /forum/post/12948993

Any other problems, not related to firmware? I read someone saying the analog section isn't very good in another thread. What was that in reference to?

Setup suggestions, links?

There's nothing wrong with the analog section. It's just not as transparent as what some of the higher end pre-pros offer. And in fairness those are double or even triple the price, plus this piece has obviously been designed as a "digital" front end.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Love mine! Every CD I play gives me new vision.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Anyone switch to this / use this in conjunction with a reasonably high quality two channel pre-amp? Although it may not be a fair comparison, I'm curious to know how much this would take away from 2 channel music listening.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
There are quite a few people who have sold off more expensive pre/pro's to move to the 9.8/885 in conjunction with a 2 channel pre with HT bypass. The only shortcoming of the 9.8/885 is its analog section so a 2 channel pre is a nice alternative. Or a player like the Oppo 980 to stream music via HDMI.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT /forum/post/12950061

So have all of the Reon problems been fixed?

rev1.04 added the Reon Menu. Works great for me! My H/K 7300 had DCDi and it didn't even come close to the Reon on SD material.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan /forum/post/12949916

There are quite a few people who have sold off more expensive pre/pro's to move to the 9.8/885 in conjunction with a 2 channel pre with HT bypass. The only shortcoming of the 9.8/885 is its analog section so a 2 channel pre is a nice alternative. Or a player like the Oppo 980 to stream music via HDMI.

By it's analog section do you mean phono in or any sort of analog input?

Another related question - when fed digital sources, such as optical or HDMI input, how good is it as a volume control to a power amp, compared to a separate analog pre-amp?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In regards to the analog section of the DTC-9.8...........

In my opinion, this unit should not be used for 2-channel analog (critical) listening.

I am personally setting up an entirely seperate system solely for 2-channel listening. The pre-amp (most likely a Mac) I don't expect to have any kind of home theater or surround type features.

And the 9.8 will be used strictly in my dedicated HT.

I don't beleive one peice of equipment can (or should) be able to handle all styles/types of listening. I'd rather it do one thing very well.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Not every one has the coin, or the space for a separate 2 channel system, and to imply its' totally incompetent is a bit terse. The 9.8 utilizing the Audyssey is capable of very decent two channel performance out of an HT set up.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts