AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theater is approaching completion and the original plan was to limp the DT500 along until I could spring for a sony 40es next year. As it turns out the DT500 is all but done and needs to be replaced.

I'd rather not spring for a 40es now due to funds, so I'm considering a W1070.

Anyone make this transition? The DT500 is a 720p unit, but it was near the end of 720p's life and one of the better units. It's a 6 segment 5x DLP.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/SharpVision-DT-500.htm

I've always liked the picture from the Sharp, with a few gripes

-I notice a very small amount of RBE and won't accept worse or even the same amount. w1070 is a 6x though so it should be better /gone.

720p is just not enough resolution. I can't do LCD as the screen door effect is worse than my current rainbow effect. 1070 is obviously a 1080p unit so I should have a noticable improvement.

-Brightness. Combination of older off brand bulb and lower lumen, but I'd really like a brighter picture while still in eco / low fan noise

-Fan noise - My DT500 is pretty loud. Almost Xbox 360 loud.

Any input? I'm not looking to make a lateral move, I want a noticeable upgrade -but I realize it won't be as good as a Sony 40es. $800 vs $2000-2500 is a big difference.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I notice a very small amount of RBE and won't accept worse or even the same amount. w1070 is a 6x though so it should be better /gone.
Nope, the W1070 is a variable wheel speed which ranges from 4x to 6x and typically is at 4x or 5x, and because of the brightness exhibits more RBE issues than many other DLP models I have seen.

Brightness. Combination of older off brand bulb and lower lumen, but I'd really like a brighter picture while still in eco / low fan noise
The W1070 is a long way from silent, even in low brightness mode. Solid unit for sure, and I like mine, but it's a fairly long way from the 40ES.

Any input? I'm not looking to make a lateral move, I want a noticeable upgrade -but I realize it won't be as good as a Sony 40es. $800 vs $2000-2500 is a big difference.
How good is your theater? You spend a ton of money buying a home, putting together a theater, then you are asking us to justify a entry level projector? Nope. Get the Sony. Spend the money and get the Sony. You will want to use it for years, and you KNOW you won't be happy with the BenQ. The BenQ is a great entry level model, but it's not a dedicated home theater model the way the Sony 40ES is. Not close.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While my theater isn't as fancy as a lot I see here, it is a dedicated, light controlled theater with mostly black walls. I'm not a big fan of cheaping out on gear and have some pretty decent stuff, but that's only relative to what you consider decent!

I guess I'm hoping to find someone that had a DT500/DT510 and switched to a W1070 or HT1075 Benq. If it's an improvement, I'll go for it. I see BHP has the 1070 for $655 and the HT1075 for $785 and they're authorized dealers. According to the specs/tests, the 1075 has a very slight improvement in fan noise and better menu's.

BTW, DT500 was the same as the Sharp XV-Z3000 and was considered one of the better units in its day. It used a Dark Chip 2, but was said to be at DC3 levels.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The new remote is backlit, a slight improvement also on noise and brightness; none of which is a deal breaker.

However, I would wait for the LG PF1500 LED model myself that I've the w1070.

For the money, the Sony is better in contrast and much quieter (not as bright) but not at 100% more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts