AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JVC 61FH97 I am very happy with. While I would like the added picture real estate, what I am more concerned about is PQ. Would the Samsung offer significantly better PQ? I can't imagine it being that much better. My JVC is simply stunning. Has anyone upgraded from a recent model JVC or a recent model Sony SXRD and been "wowed" by the difference? I also understand the contrast ratio offered by the LED Projection is significantly reduced from that of a lamp-based set. Is this significant in real world use?

Thanks in advance!

JK

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy /forum/post/15593826

I have a JVC 61FH97 I am very happy with. While I would like the added picture real estate, what I am more concerned about is PQ. Would the Samsung offer significantly better PQ? I can't imagine it being that much better. I also understand the contrast ratio offered by the LED Projection is significantly reduced from that of a lamp-based set. Is this significant in real world use?

Thanks in advance!

JK

The PQ differences you'll notice will be a result of 700 series exclusive DNIe processing. How much you really notice it depends... The showrooms that still have these sets generally have one of the 2008 Mitsubishi models nearby for comparison. If your eyes can't resolve the difference between the LED Sammy and the (much less expensive) Mitsubishi then you probably shouldn't consider PQ a big factor in purchase.

Having said that, the color accuracy of the Samsung out of the box is excellent. The additional six inches of screen space will only better serve to maximize the 1920x1080 resolution of 1080p and the new LED engine is designed for 60,000 hours of use (that's a lot of $200 DLP replacement bulbs you won't have to buy if you upgrade to LED)

Regarding contrast ratio: The 67A750 is a second generation LED-DLP set and Samsung is claiming 40% better contrast (10,000:1) over the previous generation. Again, comparing the current crop of bulb based DLP Mitsubishi sets the contrast on the xxA750 series is pretty easy to detect with the human eye on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
But don't the Mitubishi sets use the more advanced DC4 Chipset which should give them a better contrast ratio?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
750 is third generation LED DLP, not second.

Also, I don't think they're that much more expensive.

My 67 has excellent contrast and picture, I am very happy.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:

I have a JVC 61FH97 I am very happy with. While I would like the added picture real estate, what I am more concerned about is PQ. Would the Samsung offer significantly better PQ? I can't imagine it being that much better. My JVC is simply stunning. Has anyone upgraded from a recent model JVC or a recent model Sony SXRD and been "wowed" by the difference? I also understand the contrast ratio offered by the LED Projection is significantly reduced from that of a lamp-based set. Is this significant in real world use?

Thanks in advance!

JK

I may be wrong but I believe the 67a750 has a higher contrast ratio than the JVC-DILA's and the SXRD's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't been able to find contrast ratio numbers for the DILA and SRXD's. I thought I read somewhere before that they had a ratio of somewhere around 5 or 6000:1

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
10,000:1 for the Sammy

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/15597307

I may be wrong but I believe the 67a750 has a higher contrast ratio than the JVC-DILA's and the SXRD's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't been able to find contrast ratio numbers for the DILA and SRXD's. I thought I read somewhere before that they had a ratio of somewhere around 5 or 6000:1

DC4 or not...I spent about 20 minutes working with the settings on the Mitsubishi WD-65735 and the Samsung 67A750, the 67A750 definitely has better contrast. It's especially noticeable on the showroom floor from 12 feet or further back. I suppose it's the new 3rd gen LED engine that's overpowering bulb technology.... Amazing how far they can come in a few generations.

NOTE: It doesn't appear Mitsubishi is publishing contrast ratio info on their WD-xx735 series televisions. If anyone has this info, please post it...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone actually upgraded from an SXRD or an Hdila? What were your impreesions? Also, has anyone gone from 61" to 67" or 56" to 61"? Was the size difference that noticable?

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy /forum/post/15673480

Has anyone actually upgraded from an SXRD or an Hdila? What were your impreesions? Also, has anyone gone from 61" to 67" or 56" to 61"? Was the size difference that noticable?

I went from 56" to the 67" 67A750 and the size difference is only noticed for the first week or so...you will become accustomed to whatever size you get...but when I go upstairs to my 50" plasma it looks absolutely tiny now (I never noticed that difference before with my 56")

The 67A750 is easily my favorite tv between my 50" Panasonic Px60u Plasma, 32" Toshiba Regza LCD and the tv it replaced, a 56" Toshiba 56H80 RP. Personally, I have never seen a JVC picture quality that impressed me...so I don't think you could go wrong with the Samsung.

Easily the best bang for the buck! 67" of 1080p for just over $2,000cnd.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/15691087

SXRD has better shadow detail than bulb based or LED sets.

Lots of very happy EX-owners of SXRD over on the Sammy LED DLP thread.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My brother has a 56" JVC DILA and my father has a 60" SXRD and I have the HL67A750. I think your gains are negligible between properly calibrated sets. Especially if you're happy with your current set.

Reported dynamic contrast is the same for all 3 manufacturers. All 10,000:1

The size difference between 60 and 67 isn't all that large. The biggest difference (besides bulb changes) was the price I paid for my 67" is a lot less than what my brother paid for his 56"

just my nickel

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

JK

The difference - if calibrated properly - would be significant because the Samsung can actually abide very closely to system standards, thus better able to present material with the shades and colors that it was intended to be viewed in.

Eliab

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk /forum/post/15693154

Lots of very happy EX-owners of SXRD over on the Sammy LED DLP thread.

I'm one!

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/15691087

SXRD has better shadow detail than bulb based or LED sets.

Really?...

I plan on finding out when my LED set arrives and I can compare it to my SXRD A3000 (soon to be for sale)...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Mater /forum/post/15695986

I'm one!

Good! I was afraid someone was going to ask me to "Name one."

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk /forum/post/15696050

Good! I was afraid someone was going to ask me to "Name one."

LOL, that's funny stuff!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude /forum/post/15696035

Really?...

I plan on finding out when my LED set arrives and I can compare it to my SXRD A3000 (soon to be for sale)...

Just out of curiosity why are you buying the Samsung? What compelled you to buy a new TV given that the A3000 is probably only a year or so old and is considered one of the best non-plasma TVs ever made?

My line of thinking, at this point, is that the upgrade to a LED DLP would be minimal at best (other than rendering artistic intent - which is debatable) and I would prefer to save the $1,000 dollars I would be paying for the TV (net after selling my own) and buy a 65+" inch Kuro Elite in the next year or two. I am not going to be ugrading yearly and the fact is I want to own the best. The problem is the "best" is still too expensive and doesn't even come in a size > 60". So why do a "minimal" upgrade to the Samsung when I can upgrade to the best display availble, in a size I am looking for, in 24 months and have a $1,000 extra to show for it?

Anyone care to argue my logic? God knows I'd love to have "good' reason to upgrade now

One other thing, I am really hesitant to buy a Samsung a750 given all the "issues" it seems to have - most of which are non-starters for me.

1. I can't stand convergence issues. My Hdila is worlds better than some of the pictures I have seen in the Samsung XA750 threads. Furthermore, I am very sensitive to inaccurate convergence and can pick it out readily in pretty much any display.

2. The geometry problems are another issue. The slanting is one thing, but the bowing in the middle that many of these TVs also exhibit I would recognize in pretty much any application.

3. The bleeding of light into the black bars is absolutely unacceptable.

4. The circular watermarks that have shownup on many of the screens I want no part of.

5. The lack of rigidity in the screen frame, the failing/quality control with HDMI ports, the overscan...

and the list seems to go on and on.

For most of these items, one would be a deal-killer. The possibility that the display might have two or more makes it pretty much not even worth considering. Yes, my JVC may have inaccuracies in green saturation, but other than that its a pretty remarkable TV (I say that now as I have not had the "yellow blob" issue, but whose to say something won't develop with the LED light engines over time?).

John

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich /forum/post/15696675

wow you start the thread with a "nice give me some guidance" then you ramble off all the stuff above...

I am sorry! I was not intending to be adversarial in my remarks. There wasn't alot of feedback initially on this thread, so I have had plenty of time to research and develop my own perspective. I was not intending to be abusive, just stating where I am at in my thinking on this subject matter. if you didn't notice I ws actually inviting someone to challenge my thinking on this. Part of me really wants to buy the Samsung, but I am, given the economic curcumstances in the US, trying to temper my need to upgrade. I am a firm believer that it is instant gratification that go us in this mess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts