AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got about a bazillion audio files on the 'server' in the basement gameroom.

This is great for parties in the winter, but I just installed some speakers on the patio that are connected to the stereo receiver in the garage with A/B speaker outs.

I want to get the music from my PC downstairs (it's running Win2K, but I can access all files using an XP machine as well) to the receiver in the garage so I can hear it on the patio (or the garage if I'm working in there).

A straight shot from the PC to the receiver is about 50 feet, but there's a wall, a cement foundation, and a floor between them.

I'm not looking for anything fancy - just audio. I don't need to transmit video and I don't necessarily need something that can control the audio player on the PC.

I can choose a genre, all, or a playlist and hit shuffle and that will take care of my needs for hours and hours.

I'd really prefer to keep it below $100 USD.

The Linksys WMB54G intrigues me, but it's gotten a lot of bad reviews - as well as a lot of really good reviews. Apparently it's a total pain in the ass to set up and you practically need a certification in networking to get it going right...

What are you using? Do you like it and is it worth a damn?
TIA!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm using the Creative Labs Xmod Wireless system and really like it. It uses its own wireless system, so it's super easy to set up; I don't think I even read the instructions. Creative still lists it on their web site, but It isn't in their store, so I think it may be discontinued. But you can still find new systems on eBay. It won't work on W2K, but that may not be a problem for you.

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...=16186&listby=

The only other system I was considering was the Roku Soundbridge. I think it uses an 802.11 wireless system, so it may be more difficult to set up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts