AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, I love my RPGs - It's a good time for RPGs lately.

Having recently finished Mass Effect 2, and of late played (but not finished yet) Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon’s Dogma and the old school Chrono Cross, I’m SO in RPG mode right now.

On a side-note, I put in Skyrim last night to get back to that for a bit and… wow. It is SO far ahead of the others in graphics, world, NPCs, sound, music, depth and quality. What a freakin’ amazing game. You play the others to Win, or to finish. With Skyrim, you just kind of live in the world.

I sat in the bar in Whiterun, and listened to some converations, then requested “Ragnar the Red” from the Bard and sat and listened.

Admittedly, it's not perfect, but in my opinion, Skyrim freakin’ rocks.

Overall though, it's a great time for Console RPGs, I'm having a blast.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
Yeah, I've recently got the bug myself after having ignored RPGs this gen. Dragon's Age 2 was about the only one I went through until late last year.

In the past six months I've beaten Mass Effect 2 and Eternal Sonata (JRPG - so-so story, good classical music, very fun and challenging battle system).

I had planned to go through Kingdoms of Amalur, but was waiting for a patch to increase the difficulty since I get bored really quickly when a game offers little challenge. Too bad the company went under; the patch will likely never come. So I figure this summer I'll either go with Valkyrie Chronicles (strategy RPG) or dive right into Skyrim.

On a related note, Namco is increasing its Tales of... series output on Western PS3s, so those are JRPG options I will keep my eye on.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I remember lots of complaining happening in 2007 about the lack of RPG's on the "new hardware". Nowadays seems like there's more RPG's than anyone could ever play in a reasonable amount of time. These things take time to make, so now we're getting quite the flood but it's a good flood.

I've put too many hours in Skyrim myself- it's one of the few games that makes me stop and just look at the landscape because the visuals are so well done. I'm almost finished with the main story, afterwards I'll be starting a thief/dark brotherhood play through, with a female character to check out the differences.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I've gone the RPG route recently myself , starting in December with Mass Effect 2. I then proceeded to Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3. My problem is turn-based combat doesn't appeal to me (I prefer action RPGs), and I'm not really into dragons, knights, and trolls, so my selection is limited at the moment. I'd jump on Fallout New Vegas in a heartbeat if it wasn't so buggy and freeze-prone. I'm still considering Dragon Age II, as the combat feels better and I can put up with dragons and wizards if the story and the gameplay are good overall.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Zook, my son played Fallout New Vegas (the Ultimate Edition, with all the DLC included) like two or three times through, and said, the bugs, etc. weren't much of an issue. He's kinda like me, in that we're not nitpicky and hyper-critical. He said there were a couple freezes and a glitch or two but in several playthroughs, it's not a deal breaker.

(shrug) I don't know - I've never been one to let stuff like that bother me too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster  /t/1418826/console-rpg-thoughts#post_22192559

I've gone the RPG route recently myself , starting in December with Mass Effect 2. I then proceeded to Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3. My problem is turn-based combat doesn't appeal to me (I prefer action RPGs), and I'm not really into dragons, knights, and trolls, so my selection is limited at the moment. I'd jump on Fallout New Vegas in a heartbeat if it wasn't so buggy and freeze-prone. I'm still considering Dragon Age II, as the combat feels better and I can put up with dragons and wizards if the story and the gameplay are good overall.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Agreed: Fallout New Vegas was patched to a decent state of stability. I only froze a handful of times while getting the platinum. It's no Fallout 3, but stability issues shouldn't keep you away.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
What's most remarkable is that we're seeing a lot more PC-centric Western RPGs make the transition to consoles. The Elder Scrolls games, the BioWare games, the Witcher series, etc. The only good console-centric RPGs we've seen IMO are Dark/Demon's Souls and the retro-styled indie RPGs.

It's a great time to be a console gamer, but I'm not convinced that RPGs are the reason. There are plenty of great RPGs available on consoles, but I don't think of them as "console RPGs."

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle  /t/1418826/console-rpg-thoughts#post_22192796

Agreed: Fallout New Vegas was patched to a decent state of stability. I only froze a handful of times while getting the platinum. It's no Fallout 3, but stability issues shouldn't keep you away.
I have the original version still in my PS3 and I rarely ever have an issue. Hope you don;t wait long to play, its the best RPG that's been released in the last 10 year.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Re: FO NV, I stopped playing when everybody aggroed on me for no apparent reason even in areas where I was liked. Maybe that's been fixed? I don't want to start all over again..

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SXRD  /t/1418826/console-rpg-thoughts#post_22195338

Re: FO NV, I stopped playing when everybody aggroed on me for no apparent reason even in areas where I was liked. Maybe that's been fixed? I don't want to start all over again..
Game was buggy as hell from start to finish, even after patching (on any and all platforms). Obsidian took Bethesda's already buggy engine and assets and turned it into an even buggier product, not to mention the game design itself needed some massive retooling. New Vegas had some absolutely brilliant writing and dialogue, but it was one of the most painful slogs of an RPG I've ever played.

As a game it was horrible. As a story it was fantastic.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SXRD  /t/1418826/console-rpg-thoughts#post_22195338

Re: FO NV, I stopped playing when everybody aggroed on me for no apparent reason even in areas where I was liked.

LOL!! Oh man - that would suck!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I don't know if these are considered RPGs or just strategy games, but I truly miss good turn-based strategy games that have decent graphics.

I see there are few that have come out recently, but most of them have that childish Anime look that immediately turns me off. The last true turn-based game that had decent graphics to me was Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I kinda wish I never traded that one in now because there haven't been any others since then that have really excited me.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Dragon's Dogma

Tales of Graces f

Tales of Xillia (2013)

Star Ocean The Last Hope

White Knight Chronicles 2

Eternal Sonata

Valkyria Chronicles

Resonance of Fate

Tales of Vesperia (360 only in the US)

Lost Odyssey

Blue Dragon

Infinite Undiscovery

Last Remnant

Xenoblade Chronicles

Last Story

The NISA and Atlas flood of quirky jrpgs

So many JRPGs this gen, and well spread out across all systems. It's hard to complain

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp  /t/1418826/console-rpg-thoughts#post_22195484

I don't know if these are considered RPGs or just strategy games, but I truly miss good turn-based strategy games that have decent graphics.

I see there are few that have come out recently, but most of them have that childish Anime look that immediately turns me off. The last true turn-based game that had decent graphics to me was Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I kinda wish I never traded that one in now because there haven't been any others since then that have really excited me.
Valkyria Chronicles.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp  /t/1418826/console-rpg-thoughts#post_22195484

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman  /t/1418826/console-rpg-thoughts#post_22195786

Valkyria Chronicles.

After looking at the pics of this game, like I said, the Anime look turns me off.

I remember when this first came out thinking I really want another good JPRG, but the look of it just didn't appeal to me.

Personally, I would love for Final Fantasy with it's current graphics to go back to a true turn-based system.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
By disqualifying a game because of it's art style, you are missing out on some of the most mature themed games out there.

(Valkyria Chronicles being one of them)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you're both right.

You CAN certainly miss out on good gameplay and story if you don't play a game because of the art style, but I also feel that if I don't like an art style, it doesn't matter how good the game is. If I don't like looking at it, it won't be fun.

Different strokes 'n all.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I too am resistant to the anime style of most JPRGs, but I tried Valkyria Chronicles anyway and loved it. If you're looking for a turn-based strategy game, give it a try.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles, both Souls games, all Mass Effect games, and Fallout 3 are my favorites for this generation. I played New Vegas for 20 hours before deciding that my sanity was worth more than dealing with that glichy mess. I traded it in before any patches, though. Folklore was fun for a bit, but I quit before I got too far. Same with Borderlands and Dragon Age.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts