AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new HTPC rig (Core2 Duo E6600 OC'd, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7600GT, + other stuff) hooked up to a 61" DLP HDTV and a 7.1 HT system. So some of my friends came over and said that it was criminal that I don't have a game console to pair with it. I told them that we could play games using my PC. "Whine whine whine," they went, "We don't want to use keyboards/mice, whine," so I thought of buying a couple wireless gamepads (any suggestions? Logitech's Rumble 2 or whatever it's called seems to fit the bill, and is cheap). Will this work? Can a PC connect to more than one wirless gamepad? (I'm assuming yes, but I'm really clueless about this stuff).

I also need games that can work well with them. I don't like FPS, but I do like football ("soccer") and Super Smash Bros. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Even tho I hate gamepads in general, try the Microsoft 360 style gamepad that is specifically made for the PC. It looks just like the 360 wireless one. Well thats if you like the 360 one.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Multiple wireless controllers may collide in the air, depending on the wireless technology they use.

Microsoft is allegedly releasing a USB adapter that allows you to use Xbox 360 wireless controllers with PC Real Soon Now. That's what I would get for a wireless PC controller. Any of the non-Xbox-360 compatible controllers will stop being compatible with new games, because they use DirectInput which is now in "sunset mode" for Microsoft. The future of game controllers for PC games is XInput, which only works with 360 controllers and their clones.

Yeah, I don't particularly like that from a user's point of view, but as a developer (and DirectX MVP) I can see the reason. A well-defined feature set for controllers, and an easy-to-use programming API will make game pad support in PC games more consistent over time, which DirectInput never did (and it was a pain to program for, too).

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'd also suggest the MAME (arcade) and MESS (console) emulation projects. More games than you can shake a stick at.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at Logitech's rumblepads, because they're cheap ($28 each, as opposed to the 360's wireless controller at $45), but I guess the 360 one is more future-proof. Any clones on the market yet/soon?

Also, I'll check out MAME and MESS.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use two USB -> PS2 controller adapters. Hard to find, but good.

I've used them to play MAME (joust, paperboy, double dragon, etc).

Lego Star Wars 2 was great fun and worked perfect.

GTA series works good. (which btw the PC versions graphics are sick)

Live for Speed works but the PS2 controller analog stick has this dead zone in the middle, and so you can never just let the analog stick go and drive straight. So not perfect but works ok.

Anyway, you get the idea, basically it works for any game that has decent gamepad support.

·
Registered
223 Posts
By the way I'm thinking of using my new upgraded PC (core2 duo, 8800gtx) ONLY for games. Just going to connect it to the projector and only use for playing games at night. Gonna leave my p4 desktop alone.

So it will be like a $2500 console!

Should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to crank full graphics on BF2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.