AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has to be the most fascinating article I have read in a good long time. It involves not only pirating, but smart card manufacturers, the acquisition of directv, Rupert Murdoch, and even murder.

I originally posted this on the DBS non-hdtv forum, but as it also involves the acquisition/merger of Directv and Echostar, I thought it would also be of interest to those who read this forum.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/745312.asp

·
Registered
619 Posts
Interesting quote:

"Nine months after word leaked out of Murdoch’s bid, U.S. rival EchoStar swooped in with a last-minute offer that trumped News Corp. The pot had been sweetened by a $1 billion kick-in from Kudelski Group, the Nagra card maker. The kick-in made sense; if Nagra could wrestle DirecTV’s business away from NDS, it would add some 40 cents per share to the company’s bottom line."

That means if the merger of DTV and Dish is approved, DISH's receiver and smartcard system would be more favored to become the standard for the merged company.

Good bye to all those Directv HDTV receivers that many of us have bought.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hmmmm taking the conspiracy theory a bit further, maybe the real villians here are Echostar/Charlie Ergen...perhaps Charlie and friends somehow manipulated the whole NDS fiasco as a means of undermining Rupert's bid for DirecTV, with Charlie riding in at the last moment with his own bid for DirecTV!

Charlie, I didn't really mean that...please don't shut off my 5000/HD modulator! :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
The sad thing is that this is flawed logic...

If BSkyB makes it easy to steal CanalPlus, that not only steals new subscribers from CanalPlus, but from BSkyB as well...nobody (at least, nobody who is free from reservations about stealing) is going to pay for BSkyB if they can get free CanalPlus

I've always been a bit disturbed because the ease with which DirecTV can be stolen hurts us in the cable business as well. It would be truly stupid for us to make it easier to steal a DBS signal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.