AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me figure out what is causing my receiver to constantly drop audio when streaming movies/shows? I had my 4K Firestick connected to my receiver for years without issues, except my Yamaha RX-V377 receiver is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, so I couldn't stream in 4K. I recently decided to connect my Firestick directly to my TV (Samsung UN55KU6270), and then connect my TV to my receiver via HDMI ARC. This is where I first started having audio dropouts. After doing a bit of research online, I found that ARC can be pretty unreliable and audio dropouts are not uncommon. So I switched over to optical, but unfortunately that didn't seem to make a difference. I ordered a second optical cable the other day to see if that would help but the issue persists. I have tried playing around with my TV's audio settings, my receiver's settings, and my Firesticks audio settings, but I just can't seem to make the issue go away.
Does anyone have any other solutions outside of purchasing a new, HDCP 2.2 receiver?

Thank you

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first suspicion, what is the cabling distance between TV and AVR?
Not far at all. The TV is mounted just above the stand, and the AVR is one shelf below. I was originally using a 6' optical cable, and the new one I just purchased is 10' with plenty of slack.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If TV audio setting is in AUTO, u may want to try setting it to Suround/Dolby see what happens.

When dropout occurs, does AVR display shows that is "lost lock?" So lets say you are playing a dolby digital content, and the AVR displays DD, does it DD blinks/jumps to something else during dropout?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If TV audio setting is in AUTO, u may want to try setting it to Suround/Dolby see what happens.

When dropout occurs, does AVR display shows that is "lost lock." So lets say you are playing a dolby digital content, and the AVR displays DD, does it DD blinks/jumps to something else during dropout?
The display always shows the speaker arrangement for the type of audio stream it is receiving. So if I am watching something in 5.1, the display will show 5 speaker icons, if I am watching something in stereo, it will display 3 speaker icons. I have noticed when the drop-outs occur, that image will blink. Basically for a split second there will be no icons displayed while there is no sound coming out, then once the sound comes back, the icons come back. Not sure if that exactly answers your question, but that is the only oddity I have noticed when the drop-outs occur, outside the actual sound cutting out.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
That BLINK signifies to me is loosing synchronization/handshake. I don't know how often this handshake occur but setting TV to AUTO may tell the devices to do this handshake in a regular interval, if the handshake does not occur smoothly, drop out may occur. Reason I suggest "hard" setting to Surround/Dolby. I assume both TV/AVR have latest firmware.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That BLINK signifies to me is loosing synchronization/handshake. I don't know how often this handshake occur but setting TV to AUTO may tell the devices to do this handshake in a regular interval, if the handshake does not occur smoothly, drop out may occur. Reason I suggest "hard" setting to Surround/Dolby. I assume both TV/AVR have latest firmware.
Hey sorry for the late reply, believe it or not I haven't experienced the issue in a while so it hasn't been on my mind. But surely it's only a matter of time. I will check into my settings and get back to you with what they're set at currently, but I'm pretty sure I've tried all variations at one point or another, both auto and hard set, with no luck. As for the firmware, I will have to check my TV, as that can get connected to the internet and updated, but is not currently, so that could definitely be overdue. The receiver I don't think has updatable firmware. It doesn't connect to the internet and I don't see any downloads for software on Yamaha's website: RX-V377 - Downloads - Yamaha - United States

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently experienced a new issue where my center channel was outputting this ugly static whenever I was watching scenes with a lot of low-end (posted about it here). I ended up replacing the center channel and I haven't had the drop out issue ever since. Does that make any sense at all to you, or do you think it's a total coincidence? Could a dying speaker have caused my receiver to drop out like that until ultimately blowing? I posted in that thread a week ago and still haven't had the issue. I'm sure I'm jinxing it posting now, but I couldn't help but think one thing had to do with the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts