AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still deciding between a Z2 and HS-20, and one factor is their respective abilities to do a constant height setup - WITH a panamorph lens and HTPC for scaling.

So:

1) Can these projectors do a constant height setup with panamorph? Others have commented elsewhere that the Z2 isn't capable, or would be "difficult", etc, but I see no definitive word on either.

1a) If both can, is one more capable than the other? (i.e. easier format switching)

2) What is the process of "switching" from one format to another - is it solely software config in the HTPC? Where/how does zooming come in, and is there ever a situation where moving the PJ is necessary?

3) How is mounting affected by the panamorph? Can i use the PJC calclulator or is there a shift involved (up/down/forward/back)?

4) Page 2 of the Panamorph Guide ( http://panamorph.com/Acrobat/PanamorphGuide.pdf ) has a diagram which shows wasted horizontal resolution for a 16x9 PJ + 2.35:1 screen + Panamorph. It seems this could be avoided by sliding the panamorph out of the way for all but 2:35, but is this possible? Would it require re-pointing the projector?

4a) Since Alan Gouger says of his setup that "when displaying 16x9 in the center without removing the lens I lose horizontal rez but I defy anyone to notice it. Its the vertical rez you do not want to sacrifice," should I even care?

Thanks!

- Deacom

·
Registered
688 Posts
According to Alan on other post, Panamorph do vertical compression hence constant width

ISCO do horizontal expansion hence constant height

I'm not sure about PJ you mention here, but the anamorphic lense are not the same - In your case, ISCO is the one you need - not Panamorph

Regards

Thuan

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'll report in within the next couple of weeks.

I have my Z2 on order and I also ordered a panamorph from our friends here at AV Science.

I'm shooting for a 11' WIDE 2.35 image. Seating distance of 12.5 & 16 feet.

My projector dealer & Jason from AVS have told me that is is doable, no problem. Just have to use my HTPC to do the proper scaling.

If this works as planned, I will be in home theater heaven!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quote:
I'm shooting for a 11' WIDE 2.35 image. Setaing distance of 12.5 & 16 feet.
:eek: Whoa!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen it said over and over in this and other threads that you can't do constant height with vertical compression lenses like the Panamorph.

Perhaps this should be amended with "without an HTPC or other scaler"?

Constant height setups can be done with the Panamorph - people here have done it, and the Panamorph Guide (link in my initial post) shows it clearly. I have pulled out just the diagram for a 16:9 PJ + 2.35:1 screen and attached it [to the next reply]. If that's not "constant height" somebody needs to explain why to me.

Also, panamorph has a page on their site , the bottom half text and diagram are all about constant height setups with 16:9 PJ's.

So as far as I can tell, the Panamorph will work fine with a Z2/HS20 and HTPC, with the panamorph always "engaged" (never slid out of the way). The only compromise is the loss of horizontal resolution for 16x9 material (the dark gray area in the bottom center screen in the attached diagram).

- Deacom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was supposed to be with my reply above

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the statements that you "need" a horizontal expansion lens to do constant height comes from the fact that if you add a horizontal expansion lens to an existing setup the resulting picture will be the same height but wider - hence constant height.

And if you add a vertical compression lens to an existing setup without one, the width of the screen will not change - hence "constant width".

However, with either lens always "engaged" in all formats (4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1), and an HTPC or other device to do custom scaling, you can achieve a constant height setup with either type of lens. It's just that in some formats you lose resolution of some sort - in the case of vertical compression/Panamorph you lose horizontal res. at 16:9.

I think I'm getting this, finally! Now if someone here (or Panamorph) would answer my questions about mounting differences I'd be all set.

Anyone?

- Deacom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.