AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the boards for some time as I have been researching a planned home theater. I am going to view the JVC 150cl this next week, which I am hoping is the answer for me...I can not do a CRT in my situation, and I have experienced eye strain and headaches with the couple of DLP's I have seen (notably the Sharp 9000). I am a novice here, but I did not find the Sharp very "restful" to watch...good colors, but the battle scene from Gladiator seemed to full of ?motion artifacts? or something...couldn't watch it for long. Anyway, as I said, I am hoping the JVC is the digital "answer" for me. I am getting a little lost in the Panamorph/Isco issue, trying to figure out whether this is something I NEED and whether I need to make room for it in the overhead hushbox I assume I need (projector will be directly overhead against 92" ceiling), but we will see how effectively the heat and noise issues have been dealt with on the 150cl. Now I am dealing with screen issues/aspect ratios. I am planning for a 84" screen (I will be sitting about 15' back, but I am concerned about getting too large a screen as I wonder how much of my eye strain problem is sensitivity to sitting too close and having my eyes darting all around like crazy...when I first get into a theater, I have to squint through the fast moving trailers until I get used to it). Since I need to be able to watch casual TV in the space, I am leaning towards a plasma on the wall and an electric screen to come down in front of it. I would really like to not see any black bars, so I am considering electric masking, which would need to be 4-way (Stewart Triple Aspect Ratio), but i know that is very costly. So this leads me to the following question...it seems to me that the Constant Height/Variable Width set-up is not workable with an electric screen since a variable width masking is not available for a retractible screen, is that right?? Any comments that can advise me on dealing with aspect ratios/avoiding black bars/anamorphic lens issues would be appreciated. I am not a tinkerer, and would just like to see all aspect ratios without black bars and without sliding a lens in my hushbox to and fro. Thank you all in advance!

Robert

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The "battle scene" in Gladiator is intentionally done with a stuttery strobe-type effect. It looks the same way on my CRT projector. There are similiar effects in other movies, such as Saving Private Ryan. I hope you had a chance to see some other scenes that weren't using unusual special effects such as this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.