AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought the pn42b430 samsung plasma tv. I have it hooked up to my xbox 360 thru its component cables that run thru my sony receiver then into the tv thru acoustic research component cables. I am familiar with phosphorous trail on new plasmas but the issue I am hhaving is that no matter what game I am playing any type of minor movement blurs the screen making it hard to look around when playing a game like modern warfare. Anyone know what is causing this?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Honestly, I think the game is supposed to look like that. I've played a lot of FPSes on consoles, and the developers love to blur every time you move to make it look chaotic and "realistic."

If you try to play a game like Ninja Gaiden Sigma, you'll see that the motion is actually very smooth on a plasma.

Have you played a lot of console FPSes before? I hate playing FPSes on consoles...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i play a lot of games in general and not only is it bad on fps's its bad on every game I have tried. its just any type of movement within the games. if im looking forward or standing still then the image is accurate and sharp. I realize that any image should blur when moving past it but this is really bad.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Have you tried a direct 360 to HDTV connection? Could be the AVR. Also make sure the 360 is set to 720p, not 1080i. Your TV is 720p but will accept 1080i. You want 720p to 720p. Turn on game mode too.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoold /forum/post/18142891

Honestly, I think the game is supposed to look like that. I've played a lot of FPSes on consoles, and the developers love to blur every time you move to make it look chaotic and "realistic."

If you try to play a game like Ninja Gaiden Sigma, you'll see that the motion is actually very smooth on a plasma.

Have you played a lot of console FPSes before? I hate playing FPSes on consoles...

I have to agree with him 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18143148

Have you tried a direct 360 to HDTV connection? Could be the AVR. Also make sure the 360 is set to 720p, not 1080i. Your TV is 720p but will accept 1080i. You want 720p to 720p. Turn on game mode too.

this is unlikely to solve his problem but sure give it a try

all that being said if none of these things work i'm going to have to tell you its a Samsung and you should return it and buy a Panasonic X1 if you want a 720p plasma

I own a 50X1 and never see these problems though i never play FPS games on it because i only play PC FPS games on my Panasonic 37" S1 LCD TV

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoold /forum/post/18142891

Absolutely not.

Yes, many games use motion blur as an effect, but it's not something that should be causing you problems. Many games that use motion blurring also have options to turn it off completely.

As far as Modern Warfare is concerned, there should be none. I've played countless hours on my 54G10 and there is ABSOLUTELY NO motion blur. The only time your screen should be getting blurry in MW2 is when you are stunned.

Like someone posted above, you should try running it directly to your tv and see if that helps.

One of the biggest reasons people buy plasmas is to have considerable less problems with motion as compared to LCDs.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 /forum/post/18143850

Absolutely not.

Yes, many games use motion blur as an effect, but it's not something that should be causing you problems. Many games that use motion blurring also have options to turn it off completely.

As far as Modern Warfare is concerned, there should be none. I've played countless hours on my 54G10 and there is ABSOLUTELY NO motion blur. The only time your screen should be getting blurry in MW2 is when you are stunned.

Like someone posted above, you should try running it directly to your tv and see if that helps.

One of the biggest reasons people buy plasmas is to have considerable less problems with motion as compared to LCDs.

+1

I've played MW2 but only the PC version and it did not normally show game produced motion blur

Samsung stooping to new lows even in plasma i suppose or your set is defective but i somehow doubt that is the case if the picture is good otherwise.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18143334

I have to agree with him 100%

this is unlikely to solve his problem but sure give it a try

all that being said if none of these things work i'm going to have to tell you its a Samsung and you should return it and buy a Panasonic X1 if you want a 720p plasma

I own a 50X1 and never see these problems though i never play FPS games on it because i only play PC FPS games on my Panasonic 37" S1 LCD TV

So because you have a Panasonic, that means that it is the only "good" plasma, correct? From what I have read, the X1 series is one of Panasonic's worst efforts in years. I personally have no reason to bash it, since I've never seen one, just going by what I've read.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBat /forum/post/18144077

So because you have a Panasonic, that means that it is the only "good" plasma, correct? From what I have read, the X1 series is one of Panasonic's worst efforts in years. I personally have no reason to bash it, since I've never seen one, just going by what I've read.

no, its not the only good plasma.

The X1 is an excellent entry level plasma. professional reviews are good and user reviews are extremely good.

Panasonic is better than samsung and LG's current offerings, pioneers that you can still find today in stores are better than all of them.

my feeling on Samsung really are more brought up in the LCD side of things. i'm really more of an LCD person experience wise and use LCD TV's as primary computer monitors.

it takes a high quality display in more ways than just one to make an LCD TV suitable for monitor/gaming use and Samsungs 2009 models fail completely when it comes to this use for more reason than just one.

their quality is extremely lacking. when it comes to their LCD models you could buy say a B650 model samsung in a store assuming that it will look the same as the one you saw on the floor but in reality the one they give you depending on a lot of factors but mostly luck will 2/3 times actually have a completely different LCD panel in the TV than the one you saw on display!!

they use 3 different panels in their LCD TV's in the same exact model number from 3 different manufactures. none of them perform as good as their own S-LCD made panel that was found in virtually all B series models when they first came out but now AUO and CMO made panels are more commonly found when you buy a samsung LCD in stores and neither perform as good.

on top of this the S-LCD made panels as good as they perform have a major problem with black uniformity, polls on these forums show 50-60% of the good S-LCD panels have either flashlights, clouding or both at the same time and it can get pretty severe in many cases

combine this with samsungs plasma buzz and their aging LCD models only 2-3 years old having their power supplies fail commonly really shows how poorly they produce their TV's

Then you also have people on these forums like Servicetech571 who repair TV's for a living and have sated that he repairs far more Samsung TV's than any other brand and he rarely ever has to repair a broken Panasonic, this to me really speaks allot for the build quality of the 2 brands

I honestly believe they build them to impress when new but once out of warranty all bets are off, no other major brand name save for sony has these kind of wide spread issues and sony's issue is directly related to Samsung because S-LCD is a jointly owned plant between the companies and both of them use the panels in their TV's yet sony never does a panel lottery nor have they had the same wide spread issues as samsung other than the flashlight and clouding issues that are directly related to S-LCD made S-PVA LCD's

This is likely why sony has partnered with Sharp to procure their new panels for 2010 top end models and probably going into the future more and more of their mainstream TV's will also use them just to get away from the terrible issues S-LCD's design/manufacture process currently has unless it can be fixed and that is really in samsungs control because S-LCD is 51/49 Samsung/Sony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have tried connecting it directly and no luck that route either. yes every other image is fine tv, movies etc. I have contacted samsung to see if maybe it is an issue. I would post a video if I could to better explain it.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarkwell /forum/post/18147349

I have tried connecting it directly and no luck that route either. yes every other image is fine tv, movies etc. I have contacted samsung to see if maybe it is an issue. I would post a video if I could to better explain it.

Posting a video might help.

This isn't a debate about which plasma is better. So it's best if people don't get into that.

All I can say for sure is that you should not be having any issues with motion blur as far as modern warfare is concerned. There is none in that game and I know that for a fact because I've played it for over 100 hours since launch.

If it's happening in all games, then there is definitely something wrong. Every game does not have motion blur. If you can return it to where you bought it from, just take it back and get a new one. If ordered it online, try calling whoever you bought it from.

Despite the black level issues, my personal preference for gaming specifically are Panasonic plasmas. They have less input lag and I have no complaints since my 54G10 is mainly used for gaming.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Does that panel have full lines resolution for whatever res it is (720p or 1080p)? I know that's one of the big selling points of the Panasonic panels.

That aside, it might be worth it to play with the options. Try disabling unnecessary features like noise reduction etc... that increase processing time. Make sure to keep orbiter though. That's very important if you want to avoid IR (and anyone who claims otherwise can STFU. I don't care if someone thinks you don't need orbiter. Even on Kuros some people who's had it off have had IR/BI in extreme cases. Of course if they know better than the manuf. as to the best operation of sets and are actually willing to replace BI'ed sets for people then they can say whatever they want).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried everything turning off settings, turning on game mode which justs seems to put the tv in torch mode like settings. Tried going directly from xbox to tv with no receiver involved. Nothing works and I cannot find anyone on the whole wide web thats having the same issues.

·
Registered
848 Posts
To me, it sounds like you're playing games in either 480i or 1080i and the TV has a poor deinterlacer.

Try 480p, 720p or 1080p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.