AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight at 7:25pm (EST) all three of my RTVs started rebooting. They went into 6 minute reboot loops. I tried to clear the channel guides, I tried to reinstate the channel guides but all of that takes longer than 6 minutes so the boxes just kept rebooting.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me? I'm calling Customer Support in the morning. Hopefully this is just a repeat of the problems from 9/09.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Do you have IVS configured on all three of your units? That is often the cause of this situation. I haven't had the problem, but I bypassed the RDDNS update a long time ago when this happened and have never gone back...

Henry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a while since I had to set any of this up. How do I bypass the RDDNS update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/19572653

Do you have IVS configured on all three of your units? That is often the cause of this situation. I haven't had the problem, but I bypassed the RDDNS update a long time ago when this happened and have never gone back...

Henry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, found it at poopli: Using this IP for DNS now.

And it appears to work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshell /forum/post/19573572

It's been a while since I had to set any of this up. How do I bypass the RDDNS update?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshell /forum/post/19575050

Ok, found it at poopli: Using this IP for DNS now.

Depending on your router, an easier way than changing all your ReplayTVs and having to depend on the backup DNS for all of your ReplayTV's needs is to change the host file on your router if it is possible. Depending on your ReplayTV model numbers, if they are 4K's add:

Code:
Code:
67.41.76.188          rddns-rns.replaytv.net
67.41.76.188          rddns-rns-1.replaytv.net
67.41.76.188          rddns-rns-2.replaytv.net
To your router's host file. And, if they are 5K's add:

Code:
Code:
67.41.76.188          rddns-production.replaytv.net
67.41.76.188          rddns-production-1.replaytv.net
67.41.76.188          rddns-production-2.replaytv.net
To your router's host file. That way, if the backup DNS is down, then you'll only lose your RDDNS updates rather than losing net connects and everything else. And, you also don't have to reconfigure your ReplayTV's at all! Making it easier to turn on and off using the backup DNS for RDDNS updates!

The time this happened twice before, I used my router's host file, but then I put it back after the problem was resolved (since it was so easy). However, then it happened again awhile ago, so I never bothered to take it out again. Losing RDDNS updates is no big deal if the backup DNS is down since it really only matters if your router's IP address changes, which is typically infrequent. However, losing all DNNA connectivity if the backup DNS is down is a very big deal, which is why if you have to reconfigure your ReplayTV(s) DNS addresses, you'd probably want to put them back after the problem has been resolved and just have to deal with being susceptible to the next time it happens...

Henry

·
Registered
457 Posts
My two 4ks started doing this two nights ago. I'd love to try this workaround, but they reboot again before I can get into settings. I have a WiRNS server. Is there a wirns setting I can tweak?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19711917

My two 4ks started doing this two nights ago. I'd love to try this workaround, but they reboot again before I can get into settings. I have a WiRNS server. Is there a wirns setting I can tweak?

If you have your 4Ks configured to DNS through WiRNS, then WiRNS would already be taking care of this for you. I have my router configured to send my Replay's RDDNS updates through WiRNS so as to avoid this problem. WiRNS already uses the backup RDDNS servers that mshell posted...

Maybe you could try booting your 4Ks without the Ethernet connected to see if you can get them up far enough to get into the settings. While a few people have posted about having this problem, it doesn't seem so totally wide spread to be sure that this is what's happening. Although, it certainly is strange to have multiple RTVs in the same household experice the same reboot problem! I can't help wondering if it isn't some kind of LAN networking problem, especially since you are already using WiRNS, which should be preventing an RDDNS update problem...

Henry

·
Registered
457 Posts
both replays are OK now with the network cables unplugged. In one, I've tried using the above ip address as both DNS servers. Then, I plug the network cable back in and after about ten minutes, it reboots again. I can watch TV for a few minutes at a time, but it will reboot on its own. If I try to force a net connect, it reboots immediately. I left the other replay alone with both DNS IPs set to the local IP address of the WiRNS server. Both replays continue to boot loop.

both replays are responding to pings, have static IP addresses as well as reserved IP addresses in the router's DHCP settings.

Poopli forum thread: http://www.poopli.com/forum/showthre...5&pagenumber=3

I shouldn't have posted in multiple places. I hate when other people do that. Since I have an android app for AVS forums, I'll stick to this thread.

With one unit bypassing WiRNS and the other going through WiRNS, would it be possible that corrupt guide data is causing the problem?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19714513

both replays are OK now with the network cables unplugged. In one, I've tried using the above ip address as both DNS servers. Then, I plug the network cable back in and after about ten minutes, it reboots again. I can watch TV for a few minutes at a time, but it will reboot on its own. If I try to force a net connect, it reboots immediately. I left the other replay alone with both DNS IPs set to the local IP address of the WiRNS server. Both replays continue to boot loop.

both replays are responding to pings, have static IP addresses as well as reserved IP addresses in the router's DHCP settings.

Poopli forum thread: http://www.poopli.com/forum/showthre...5&pagenumber=3

I shouldn't have posted in multiple places. I hate when other people do that. Since I have an android app for AVS forums, I'll stick to this thread.

With one unit bypassing WiRNS and the other going through WiRNS, would it be possible that corrupt guide data is causing the problem?

OK, I'll stick with this thread then...

If WiRNS is taking care of your RDDNS updates, then you should see WiRNS log entries like:

Code:
Code:
[12/27/10 02:13:07] [PLUGIN] IVSProvider received an update request from ISN 12345-67890-12345(a.b.c.d), port 12345
[12/27/10 02:13:07] [IVSPROVIDER] Getting backup.rddns.cc for rddns-production.replaytv.net
Where you see your RTV's correct ISNs, IP addresses, and IVS port numbers...

I was thinking that maybe you can try turning off IVS on one or all of your units to see what impact that makes on booting up with the Ethernet cable connected...

Corrupt guide data has been known to cause reboots, but usually when viewing the channel guide, not necessarily when the unit boots. Also, depending on how you have WiRNS configured to obtain guide data, it could be that the guide data would be fairly identical whether you net connected through WiRNS or directly. However, you can try using 2-4-3-Zones to clear the Channel Guide TWICE in a row on one of your units to see if that makes any difference or not. Warning that if you clear all your channel guide and cannot successfully perform a net connect, then you won't have any channel guide to be able to record any shows!

Henry

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cleared channel guide on replay 1, reboots continue. The exchange you describe happens every five or six minutes right after a rebooted replay gets up on the network.

Replay 2 still has old guide data. When I try changing the zip code, it says connection failed. Also, wins no longer is available as a service provider. This rtv is still configured for wirns access. Wirns can't seem to communicate with the replays at all.

Its been too long since I've done any real wirns troubleshooting. Is there a good way to backup the dbs, start fresh with a new db, etc?

UPDATE: I think the trouble started on Christmas day. Not sure, but recorded shows look OK from Christmas eve. shows recorded on Christmas day are just 1min segments like they were interrupted by reboots. since my log RSS feed is consumed by google reader, I can scan back through the logs.

I wasn't expecting to see this: it is normal? It might have been there before, I'm still scanning logs.

Quote:
[12/26/2010 02:14:24] Hijacking headend request, because we serve it locally.

[12/26/2010 02:14:25] Hijacking headend request, because we serve it locally.

[12/26/2010 02:14:26] Serving guide data for: 2010-12-26 to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:27] Loaded 6973 shows for 176 channels in 0.8125 second(s).

[12/26/2010 02:14:28] Serving guide data for: 2010-12-27 to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:29] Loaded 7341 shows for 176 channels in 0.875 second(s).

[12/26/2010 02:14:30] Serving guide data for: 2010-12-29 to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:31] Loaded 7614 shows for 176 channels in 0.859375 second(s).

[12/26/2010 02:14:33] Serving guide data for: 2011-01-02 to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:34] Loaded 7333 shows for 176 channels in 0.890625 second(s).

[12/26/2010 02:14:35] Serving guide data for: 2011-01-06 to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:36] Loaded 7918 shows for 176 channels in 0.890625 second(s).

[12/26/2010 02:14:37] Serving guide data for: 2011-01-07 to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:38] Loaded 7792 shows for 176 channels in 0.921875 second(s).

[12/26/2010 02:14:45] [DNS] Returning 192.168.1.14 for production.hd.pcdvr.replaytv.net to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:45] [DNS] Returning 192.168.1.14 for production-1.hd.pcdvr.replaytv.net to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:45] [DNS] Returning 192.168.1.14 for production-2.hd.pcdvr.replaytv.net to 192.168.1.1

[12/26/2010 02:14:50] [PLUGIN] GetNextCall initialized.

[12/26/2010 02:14:50] [PLUGIN] GetNextCall Time: 02:08 for 12 min.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19720439

Cleared channel guide on replay 1, reboots continue. The exchange you describe happens every five or six minutes right after a rebooted replay gets up on the network.

Are you talking about WiRNS receiving the ISN update? If so, that would imply that WiRNS is properly intercepting the RDDNS updates and should be protecting the unit from that particular problem...

Quote:

Replay 2 still has old guide data. When I try changing the zip code, it says connection failed. Also, wins no longer is available as a service provider. This rtv is still configured for wirns access. Wirns can't seem to communicate with the replays at all.

If the units are "up" on the Local Area Network and WiRNS can't communicate with them at all, that certainly seems like something has to be going on with your Local Area Network. For example, what kind of progress can you make starting with trying to PING your units, or trying to browse to http://replayip/Device_Descr.xml ? And, what kind of errors is WiRNS logging trying to contact the units?

I guess you could try configuring unit 1 to go direct to DNNA and see if it can net connect or not...

Quote:

Its been too long since I've done any real wirns troubleshooting. Is there a good way to backup the dbs, start fresh with a new db, etc?

You could either copy the .db files to another folder or rename them and then startup WiRNS...

Henry

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:

UPDATE: I think the trouble started on Christmas day. Not sure, but recorded shows look OK from Christmas eve. shows recorded on Christmas day are just 1min segments like they were interrupted by reboots. since my log RSS feed is consumed by google reader, I can scan back through the logs.

I wasn't expecting to see this: it is normal? It might have been there before, I'm still scanning logs.

Yep, that looks like a pretty normal net connect for the unit with IP address 192.168.1.1...

Henry

·
Registered
457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/19720572

Yep, that looks like a pretty normal net connect for the unit with IP address 192.168.1.1...

Henry

references to production.hd.pcdvr.replaytv.net don't normally appear in my logs. If I can believe the google reader search of my RSS feeds, it only showed up once in July 2009 and now a couple of times in December 2010.

I was able to both of my replays before, but at the moment, I get no response. Unfortunately, I have to pick this up later tonight. No work this week, but family stuff...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19720618

references to production.hd.pcdvr.replaytv.net don't normally appear in my logs. If I can believe the google reader search of my RSS feeds, it only showed up once in July 2009 and now a couple of times in December 2010.

DNNA made that change quite awhile ago, at least a couple of years back I think. There was an update note in WiRNS when he added that. My 4500 does those same three name querys every net connect as well...

Those name queries get cashed inside the unit, so it doesn't even request them until they expire, depending on what their time to live is configured. So, it could be that normally they don't get queried except every once in awhile, only after the unit has rebooted. I have my setup configured to only allow the time to live to be 15 minutes because I do a lot of testing and change where I am redirecting my units, so I see all the names get queried all the time since they only last for 15 minutes. That's what made me think of it, when I first was messing around, I would change my setup, but the unit wouldn't ask for the new addresses unless I rebooted it. I finally realized that it was caching the results, which is typical of any network appliance...

Henry

·
Registered
457 Posts
OK, I'm back again and have some time for troubleshooting.

Confirmed that replay works fine when network cable is disconnected. As soon as I reconnect it, it goes into reboot loops that may cycle as soon as the replay is finished rebooting or may take 5-6 minutes in between. I wanted to rule out cabling and wireless and an old switch, so I have one replay connected directly to the router with a brand new cable.

I'm sorry to ask, but I just can't remember what I had to do ten years ago setting up IVS: how do you turn off IVS?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19749308

I'm sorry to ask, but I just can't remember what I had to do ten years ago setting up IVS: how do you turn off IVS?

From the 4500 User's Guide:
Quote:
Select Internet Identity and Address Book from the Setup screen.
Quote:
Change Internet Identity: Selecting this option lets you change the name of your ReplayTV and specify the port number of your

router's firewall that will allow others to send you shows.
Quote:
The available range of port numbers must be 00000 or within 01024 and 65535.

So, you change the port number to "00000" to turn off IVS...

However, I recall a discussion previously that setting the port number to "00000" might actually still send an RDDNS udpate that IVS has been turned off. From playing with my 4500, I know that after a factory reset, it never sends RDDNS updates. However, I can't remember now, after I set it up for IVS and then tried to clear it, if it stopped sending IVS updates or not. I can certainly try hooking it up with WireShark again to see. I know that you can't clear the IVS nickname, so I seem to recall that I couldn't get the RDDNS update stopped except to factory reset the unit. I'll see if I can't get my 4500 setup to try it again...

Henry

·
Registered
457 Posts
strangely, I cannot seem to get this unit to forget Wirns now. I am bypassing with DNS and choosing over the air broadcast on the ANT input. It will not complete a channel guide update and gives "Unexpected Result Code (93a6000b)"

I've changed the IVS port number. Waiting to see what happens next.

UPDATE: IVS off, reboots seem to have stopped. Gave replay Wirns DNS address again and it is looking like it did a full guide update this time.

UPDATE2: IVS off on second unit. Trying to complete guide update. Reboots have started back up again on both units.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19749556

strangely, I cannot seem to get this unit to forget Wirns now. I am bypassing with DNS and choosing over the air broadcast on the ANT input. It will not complete a channel guide update and gives "Unexpected Result Code (93a6000b)"

That's because it's expecting the see the WiRNS: lineups and can't find them going direct to DNNA. You'll either have to use 243-Zones to clear the channel guide (just once), or change your ZIP code to something close by with the same providers that you want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19749556

I've changed the IVS port number. Waiting to see what happens next.

UPDATE: IVS off, reboots seem to have stopped. Gave replay Wirns DNS address again and it is looking like it did a full guide update this time.

UPDATE2: IVS off on second unit. Trying to complete guide update. Reboots have started back up again on both units.

I think I'm going to setup my 4500 with IVS and then turn it off and see if that stops it from sending RDDNS updates or not...

Henry

·
Registered
457 Posts
When you go back in and reset your IVS port, the UI says setting it to 00000 will disable IVS so you were right.

Unfortunately, I think I discovered the real culprit: my Tmobile G2 android phone.

When it is connected to wifi, the replays go bonkers. When I disconnect the G2's wifi connection, the replays settle down. This is strange because I've been using it on my LAN since November. The replays only started misbehaving a month after starting to use the G2. totally repeatable: I can force the rtvs to reboot by simply turning on wifi on my phone. I discovered that my router was giving the G2 two IP addresses for some reason. So I thought I'd rule out the G2 by turning off wifi.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19749912

When you go back in and reset your IVS port, the UI says setting it to 00000 will disable IVS so you were right.

Yes, I said that 00000 will disable it, but what I said I didn't think it would do was to turn it off.

So, I have now verified that once you have configured the unit for IVS, you can NEVER turn it off without performing a factory reset. Setting it to 00000 does NOT turn it off, it simply makes it nonfunctional. In fact, you can still access the Internet Identity and Address Book just fine (instead of it telling you that it's not configured), and you still have Send Show in the Replay Guide menu, which you can still select. Also, if you look at System Information, it shows the Inbound Port Number as zero instead of blank (or, maybe it didn't show this status line at all, I can't remember)...

In addition, I verified that when you configure the IVS port number for 00000, it still sends an RDDNS update when the unit boots up. I didn't bother to wait an hour to see if it continues to send regular hourly updates or not. If you look in your WiRNS log when you configure the unit for 00000, you will see it receiving the RDDNS updates. If you want to leave it that way for more than an hour, you can see if it continues to send hourly updates or not...

So, basically IVS becomes nonfunctional because when you run IVS test, you actually get the resultant IVS port number as zero, and when you try to contact the unit with port number zero, it fails. But, since it doesn't disable RDDNS updates, it wouldn't really fix the rebooting problem to set the port number to 00000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie /forum/post/19749912

Unfortunately, I think I discovered the real culprit: my Tmobile G2 android phone.

When it is connected to wifi, the replays go bonkers. When I disconnect the G2's wifi connection, the replays settle down. This is strange because I've been using it on my LAN since November. The replays only started misbehaving a month after starting to use the G2. totally repeatable: I can force the rtvs to reboot by simply turning on wifi on my phone. I discovered that my router was giving the G2 two IP addresses for some reason. So I thought I'd rule out the G2 by turning off wifi.

This make a lot more sense! First, since you were using WiRNS, it should have taken care of any problems with RDDNS updates (which goes back to your original question in the Poopli forum). Second, this kind of LAN problem is EXACTLY what you might expect if all of your ReplayTV units are having this problem. Anyway, when you ruled out everything else, then it certainly seemed like all that was left was a LAN problem...

Glad you figured it out!

Henry

*UPDATE* Now that my 4500 has been left with the IVS port number set to 00000, I can see that it is still sending out regular RDDNS updates with port number 0. So, as the Internet Identity configuration said when I changed the IVS port number to 00000, , the inbound port number has simply been changed to 00000 versus that it actually turns off IVS...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts