AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I've had my Showstopper 2000 for 31 days now, and upon viewing a program recorded last night, I found the entire thing unwatchable. It froze, stuttered, skipped, would go to black before catching up again only to repeat the process for the whole half-hour. Sound was similarly problematic. To me, this seems like worse stuttering than anyone here has experienced, especially for a well-ventilated, month-old, unmodified Showstopper. Live TV seems fine, and I have not recorded anything on extended since then. All other programs are fine. Any thoughts on why my unit might do this? I am not pleased, especially since I only had 30 days to return it (for some reason I thought it was 90, but I was wrong). Is something like this the norm? I haven't rebooted since I first set it up. Thanks for your help.

- Ryan

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd guess your hard disk may be going bad. Try pausing live TV for a few minutes then watch it delayed for a while (forces it to record then play back/record playback etc etc). If it screws up call Panasonic explain all symptoms to them; let them diagnose it. They'll open a case (record the # and persons name) and they'll have you try a few fixes. If it fails again call them back with case #, persons name you talked to, what was done and what happened afterward - be patient.

I had a weird intermittent problem with a showstopper; I'd tried soft boot (hold power button on replay for ~15 seconds), pulling out plug for a minute (cold boot) but the problem kept coming back. I explained it all to them and they had me do a reset to factory defaults. It failed again and when I called they took my credit card # and said they'd send an advance replacement. A week later I called to ask if it had been sent yet, they said no, I said OK just checking; two days later it arrived (sent 2nd day air) with a prepaid return label.

Maybe I was lucky but the three people I talked to seemed to be genuinely nice and I feel they took good care of me (although none of us could figure out exactly what was causing the problem they replaced it).

Your showstopper has a year on parts but only a 90 day (tough luck Charlie) warranty on labor. If it's over 90 days I think they hit you for around a $150 charge. That must equal a rate of over $600 an hour to replace a hard disk. Get it reported to them/fixed by them before you hit 90 days.

Good luck

Tommy

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I don't know if this corrupt file is an isolated case or a trend. I'd delete the show and see what happens. Had problem like that on my dual 80 gig maxtor showstopper. Running a cooling fan seems to have eliminated reoccurance of bad recording.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.