AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have noticed that all of a sudden I have 12-13KB of upstream activity which I can't detect the source of.

This would normally lead me to believe that I have a bot running on my computer, but both Spybot and Avast claim that I'm clean.

Any ideas of how I can tell WHAT application is utilizing this bandwidth? It's slowing my computer down.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I figured it out. I had a user logged on internally who had a torrent program running.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a hardware firewall, I use DD-WRT on my router

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
It's amazing how many people in my area have wide open wireless networks. I would say they're ignorant but I know they're not because they changed the names of the network to something other than "linksys" to "mary's network", and yet they didn't set a pw. From my apt alone I can find like 12 connections.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am thankful to those with open wireless networks.. They have given me access to the net when I was waiting for a dsl or cable company to hook me up with my own connection. Where I live now I could leave my wireless unprotected and never have to worry about anyone leaching off me. I live in the sticks.

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
I use WAP2 (and hiding my SSID besides) so it's fairly unlikely anyone would be stealing my bandwidth, and if they do manage to figure it out, well, more power to them. As I said, with like 12 wide open networks at first glance I highly doubt someone is going to look to break into a hidden WAP2 network.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.