AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am new here today and have been to BB Magnolia.
Before I went there, I designed my room and have it all 'cooled out' and it is yet to be actually completed.
I have dedicated tray ceilings so running my wires and cables are a sinch, but I am having a hard time deciding on the speakers to buy.
I have seen KLIPSCH with my eyes and seen the price and some general review data which leads me to believe that they are one of the best in the price range.
However the Magnolia guys are talking me into Definitive Technology.
I can hear the DT at BB - but they do not have any Klipsch running, in fact I cant find a store near me at all that carries Klipsch, all I can go by is their price and appearance which is not the correct thing to do here!
So this is what I did.
I bought a Denon X4000 receiver, a DT Supercube 2000, 4 Klipsch RS-41 II rear & side speakers, a Klipsch RP440C center - and I am yet to buy front towers.
Firstly, having never heard these items with my ears, I am unsure as to my eager choice before posting here (purchased from amazon so no problem returning them if need be).
So I have a couple of questions and I hope somebody could give me some advice, based on the fact that the only things I have seen/heard are the DT supercube and the Denon AV.

1/ Should I keep the speaker selection I already made, or change some/all of it
2/ If change, what would you suggest I change to in the same price range
3/ Is Klipsch a better 'brand' in terms of quality, cratftsmanship, technology, etc. vs Def. tech
4/ What towers would you suggest in the $500-800 price range for the best possible sound considering budget

Thank you so very much !!
John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK
So the rushy-rush rush devil in me bought the following items just now, and will return the Klipsch RS-41 II (just seen they are 5 years old.....prob outdated)

Def Tech BP-8020 x 2 front towers
Def Tech SR-8080BP x 4 surround

GOOD IDEA/BAD IDEA ??
Thanks
:)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Return the speakers to BB and buy them off eBay from here. It's DefTech's unofficial refurb seller. Lots of folks on here have purchased from them with great results. Save 40% off retail. Also, the bipolar design of the towers may take some additional set up time to get sounding right. However, they are great sounding speakers. If you have a sub(s) you don't really need towers. 3 SM55/65s up front with bass management engaged on your Denon will do the trick.

Check the Sub forum for ideas on what subs to get. DT makes great speakers, but for the price you pay for their subs their are much better ones out there (SVS, HSU, PSA, etc.)

Have you checked out the DT thread on here?
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/625807-definitive-owners-thread.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
return the speakers to bb and buy them off ebay from here . It's deftech's unofficial refurb seller. Lots of folks on here have purchased from them with great results. Save 40% off retail.

Ok thank you very much !!!!!

also, the bipolar design of the towers may take some additional set up time to get sounding right. Wow, i was hoping the mic /calibration tool in the denon would take care of that. No ??

However, they are great sounding speakers. If you have a sub(s) you don't really need towers. Oh....the guy from magnolia put it on their 'list' and figured he knew what he was doing.....so now i am super confused lol.

3 sm55/65s up front with bass management engaged on your denon will do the trick. So the towers wont sound good with the sr-8080bp ?

Check the sub forum for ideas on what subs to get. I did get a supercube 2000 because i asked 4 separate people at different best buy and they all independently pointed me at that one. Not good ???

Dt makes great speakers, but for the price you pay for their subs their are much better ones out there (svs, hsu, psa, etc.) wow i had no idea, it sound good in magnolia studio, but it was the only one i heard. It was $599 i believe. What could i get thats better, and why is it better??

Have you checked out the dt thread on here? No but i will, thank you so much for your time

thank you
john

·
Registered
737 Posts
1) I don't have bipolar speakers from DT but if I remember correctly from reading through the threads, setting them up took a little extra tweaking because you have to deal with the reflections from the front wall. Audyssey might be able to calculate to sound good, but check the DT thread for more info.

2) You don't really "need" towers if you have a sub, but it won't hurt either. The 55/65 can play down to 80Hz, which is the THX recommended crossover, which lets the subs handle the deep bass without overloading or overworking your speakers. However, if you listen to stereo (just left and right) you might enjoy the sound of that better with the towers that can play lower.

3) Towers will sound good with those surrounds. Just giving you another option if you like the DTs.

4) The Supercube is okay, but for the money you can buy a much better sub. Also, with the money you save from getting the speakers from Baja you can put that towards a better sub - or even better, two subs!

5) Why better? Louder and lower....

Just cruse through these threads and watch some of the Home Theater Geeks podcasts and you'll have more than enough info to make your decisions.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
wow i had no idea, it sound good in magnolia studio, but it was the only one i heard. It was $599 i believe. What could i get thats better, and why is it better??[/B]

$499 - SVS PB-1000 will probably crush that Supercube. I've had a myriad of subwoofers, and SVS makes top quality subs.

Try out that Supercube. Get used to it. See how you like it. Just make sure you have it in writing somewhere what the return policy is so you're not stuck with it.

Then order the PB-1000 and try it out. SVS gives you a 45 day in-home no risk trial. If you decide you don't want it, then they will pay for shipping back to them and refund you.

You have absolutely nothing to lose, and will end up something you will enjoy for many years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts