AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help from some experts. I am starting my first HT project, converting the basement. Room is 16X22 and unfinished. I am building new walls (2X6 w/ staggered 2X4 studs for all walls) and new ceiling joists inside of existing floor joists. Entire room will be de-coupled from the house except for anchors of walls to floor. Wanted to know if I could get away with 2 layers of drywall inside room or should I use 1 layer of drywall and 1 layer of sound control board and if so, what type? Exterior of walls will get 1 layer of 1/2 inch drywall and I was thinking maybe 3 layers of drywall for the ceiling? Not sure if this is overkill, just don't want ANY (within reason) sound to escape (you know how wives can be!:D ) Thanks in advance.

Paul B.

·
Registered
40 Posts
General consensus here is two layers of drywall (5/8" and 1/2"), glued and screwed, seams overlapped. First layer may be acoustically caulked rather than taped and mudded, since it's just getting covered anyway. Three layers drywall for ceiling is overkill, and I don't know of anyone here who has done that.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm using two layers of sheetrock in my basement. Just curious though...I was going to use 2 layers of 1/2". Is there a reason to mix them up?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mancubus,

As I understand it, the reason is for the different masses. In theory the the sound waves will have to go through the 2 different masses making it harder to go through the wall. I think aslo, those 2 thicknesses get you close to the proper STC, but that may not be correct.

Ron

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Chris, I thought maybe it was overkill, but you never know. I've never been accused of underkill, I think that's a good thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.