AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello! I didn't want to hijack fastgt79's thread, but part of my question is exactly what he asked in his/her thread (sorry, can't post the url yet!).

I am ready to get going on refinishing my basement, and installing a home theater in a 22x16 room. My goal is to be able to enjoy movies/music with minimal sound moving to the rest of the house. My expectations are not that I can completely contain the sound, due to several factors (not the least of which is cost!) Based on my experience, the biggest concern will be sound traveling through ductwork.

I imagine my situation is like that of many people out there: What is the right point on the price/performance curve? Doing a decent job will cost x dollars. More money will yield better performance. But at a certain point it stops being worth it.

Current state: Open joist ceiling, finished walls, carpet (will be replaced).

Complicating factors: 1) HVAC ductwork running through the room from the inside heat pump unit, 2) Staircase to upstairs is adjacent to the home theater area.

My current plan is:

1) Insulate the bays between joists (was looking into cotton batting, but just getting it is becoming too tough. May just put a few layers of fiberglass, loosely filling the space).

2) Hang resilient channel, with isolation tape, across joists.

3) Hang two layers of 5/8 sheetrock, with green glue in between. (After reading and researching here, I'm moving away from my previous plan to use QuietRock.)

4) We'll be installing a suspended ceiling also at a minimum drop (wife-requirement). Looking at low profile LEDs for lighting.

5) I plan on boxing the ductwork, using a black foam mat (3/4 or 1 inch) on the sheet metal, then building the box with 2 layers of 5/8, with the green glue.

6) Also thinking about attaching black foam to heat pump unit, which will be protected by a solid core bi-fold door.

7) Replace door at top of stair case with solid core door, and insulate top and sides of jamb, install sweeper at bottom of door.

Looking for feedback and perspectives in these areas:

- Will this work well enough? Is it too much (due to the inevitable weakness with the staircase)?

- What about the HVAC register and return vents?

- Will resilient channel be able to hold two layers of 5/8 sheetrock?

- What am I missing?

I'd love to have the papers Ted White offered to fastgt79, if possible

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'd consider using the design service that's offered here . You're embarking on a lot of expensive work and having some pro guidance at the beginning is a very worthwhile investment. I have no first hand experience with Ted White's company but have heard nothing but good. I'd engage him too if I were in your position.

And why does you wife want a suspended ceiling? Does she want to remove any doubt that you have a DIY basement renovation? They can rattle like crazy in a home theater.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'd suggest simple R19 fiberglass

Forget the resilient channel. Instead look at clips and channels

The suspended ceiling is for what? You mentioned a double drywall ceiling.

Ideally you'd have a wall between the noise and that stairwell.

Anyone should feel freee to PM me for a few articles, anytime

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All,

Thanks for the input and conversation. Sorry it took me so long to reply - had to get to power and net-connectivity (at work). Irene's still got our power out!

As I reflect on what you've offered, it occurs to me that calling my project a home theater is a bit off the mark. It's really a facet of the finished basement. We'll have a pool table and a few other things, so its not a dedicated home theater. That is the thing that I'm most focused on though, as I want to be able to listen/watch with minimum disturbance to the rest of the house. My focus on sound management includes the activity of a few guys playing pool, so I have music, (maybe) loud conversation and pool balls to consider.

Feedback seems to be:

1) Don't worry about the cotton batt insulation. Just use regular R-19. That's easy & good news.

2) What's up with that idea of the suspended ceiling?
Well, the driver to this seems to be access to wiring/ducting/pipes in the ceiling. Of course, ducting will be "covered" behind sheetrock anyway. Pipes are all really on the other side of the basement, so could solve that problem a different way. Then we're down to electric wiring... I can always try again!
Rattling is a great point to make!

3) Duct covering strategy seems to be cool?

4) Decision to pass on MLV seems sound.

I could build the wall next to the stairs with alternating studs. That might help, but it would cover all the issues related to the stairs.

Have I got that right? Without electricity, I have a bit of time to think about this - then its time to get materials!

Ted, thanks for your generous offer to all of us!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
So you're looking to contain sound within the basement. Different rooms within the basement, but overall the goal is to kep sound downstairs? That's a common goal. The biggest isue is the stairwell. That will conduct sound up and out better than anything.

Do you have a layout to share?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ted,

I think that you're capturing my goals very well. I am looking to not re-construct the existing rooms.

Here is a quick attempt at a diagram:

Yeah, the stairway is a challenge. The question, for me is this: How much can I practically do to offset it.

Continued thanks!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
mtb, Can you put a door at the bottom of the stairs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.