AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basement is under construction. Framing is done Electrical almost done. Running LV/ speaker wire Theater area is U shape, back open to rest of basement. For Aesthetics and other reasons back of theater area is 19' from front wall. Planning on seating at 12'(eyeballs probably 11-11'5") 2nd row butting up to 1/2 wall at 19'(7 ft deep riser to handle reclining chairs)

TRying to determine speaker wire location therefore rough screen size. Room is wide 17' wall to wall- roughly 1 1/2' of soffit down each side- therefore ~14 feet wide in between soffits. I've been reading all the rules re distance vs screen width(1 to 1?).

So questions:

Assuming based on lack of depth the best option is that I'm using speakers on each side and center channel underneath?

MY other recent wild idea was on walls/inwalls on front that would shorted my depth by about 1 foot?

Any better ideas? I'm basically trying to get a good side screen that looks good on a 14-17' wide space but compensates for the depth issue as well

Thanks for any input you may have

·
Registered
821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthompson10 /forum/post/20769988

Basement is under construction. Framing is done Electrical almost done. Running LV/ speaker wire Theater area is U shape, back open to rest of basement. For Aesthetics and other reasons back of theater area is 19' from front wall. Planning on seating at 12'(eyeballs probably 11-11'5") 2nd row butting up to 1/2 wall at 19'(7 ft deep riser to handle reclining chairs)

TRying to determine speaker wire location therefore rough screen size. Room is wide 17' wall to wall- roughly 1 1/2' of soffit down each side- therefore ~14 feet wide in between soffits. I've been reading all the rules re distance vs screen width(1 to 1?).

So questions:

Assuming based on lack of depth the best option is that I'm using speakers on each side and center channel underneath?

MY other recent wild idea was on walls/inwalls on front that would shorted my depth by about 1 foot?

Any better ideas? I'm basically trying to get a good side screen that looks good on a 14-17' wide space but compensates for the depth issue as well

Thanks for any input you may have

Your ceiling heigth comes into play when dealing with screen size and available space for speakers. It appears that you won't have issues with side speakers and the center speaker will only come into play if you have a low ceiling. If you decide to go inwall then you will loose some depth in the room. The calculations on seating distance are a good starting point, but being a bit inside the recommendations will not, IMO, ruin the experience.

As I've gone the DIY Screen rout, I recommend you check out some of the screen shots and results that have been obtained through some of the methods on that forum. Side viewing with a DIY screen can be, and often is, extremely good. Accoustically transparent screens can be DIY'd if you decide to go that direction.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.