AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people on this forum have been asking questions about how to hook up a PC to their CRT displays which are almost always consumer-grade (meaning no VGA inputs and no VESA support). The quick answer is that they would have to buy a transcoder and/or fiddle with the Powerstrip software to get a semblance of picture on the display. The set-up is usually messy and time-consuming.

But now, Microsoft has come out with a product that may finally make Powerstrip irrelevant. The product is the
Media Center Extender set-top box

From what I understand, you must have a Media Center PC for the whole thing to work. With a Media Center PC, the hook-up is quite simple:

1) Connect the Media Center PC to the Extender set-top box via Ethernet or wirelessly.

2) Connect the Extender set-top box via COMPONENT output to your display's COMONENT input. This seems to indicate that you can take advantage of resolutions higher than 640x480 on your consumer-grade display. But someone will have to confirm this via testing.

I don't know if the set-up will actually be that simple as described above but that is basically what Microsoft is promising. So using the Extender, you can finally view DVDs, TV, listen to music, etc. directly from your PC. No need for any set-top boxes except, of course, for the Extender set-top box.

I don't know how the picture quality will be like, but since the Extender has component outputs, it will probably look as good as VGA, limited only by your display's resolution capabilities.

·
Banned
45 Posts
There are widescreens are available in notebooks now and 1920 X 1220 WUGA with a higher number of pixels than VGA. I have a 15.4 configured at 16 x 10 not 9 which gives me a 8 inches high by 13 inches wide view on a 1920 x 1220=2,342,400 pixel view screen. I-8600 standardly comes with Centrino Mobile if I want to use it. The view watching "The Day After Tomorow" was as great or better than my 39" diag internal line doubliing W/S HDTV! I now have a second home theater wide screen view and one CPU to view available wide screen movies, view a newly purchased DVD disc before putting it in my storage cabinet, besides the usual web sufing. To use each his/her own way of viewing movies from CPU drive, or CD-R/RW-DVD+R/RW.

Good luck on whatever you go with BTW this the second year 15.4 W/S model. My late father always said buy the second year model with the bugs out and i did the first was the I-8500 I had for awhile but not anymore.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
juandixon; broadq doesn't provide much information on the set-up. What is the product they are selling? Does it have component-out? It seems to support resolutions up to 720x320?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.