Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030423/new021_1.html

Consumer Interest in High-Definition Television is On the Rise, Dove Study Finds

Wednesday April 23, 10:30 am ET

Study reveals eighty-one (81%) percent of consumers are aware of HDTV

BOSTON, April 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Awareness of high-definition television among U.S. consumers is quite high, according to a newly-released Dove Consulting study. Eighty-one (81%) percent of survey respondents expressed general familiarity with HDTV. What's more, thirteen (13%) percent of consumers indicated that they currently have an HD-capable TV.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20010321/NEW015LOGO )

Recent and planned buying behaviors suggest that consumers are beginning to truly understand and embrace the benefits of high definition. Of those surveyed, six (6%) percent of all consumers have purchased an HDTV within the past six months. Additionally, 7.6% of consumers are considering buying an HDTV within 6 months.

Additional highlights from the study include:

-- People with HDTVs watch twice as many DVDs per month than non-HDTV

consumers.

-- Thirty-two (32%) percent of all HDTV owners surveyed indicated that

they would consider switching providers for HD programming.

-- More than three-fourths of HDTV owners are willing to pay a fee for an

HD programming package.

"HDTV owners have the potential to become very valuable customers through fee-based and subscription services," notes Bob Davis, Managing Director of Dove's Consumer Broadband practice.

To download a copy of the summary research report, visit: www.consultdove.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Dove Consulting

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Quote:
-- More than three-fourths of HDTV owners are willing to pay a fee for an HD programming package.
I guess the writing is on the wall now.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Prepare to be raped. :(

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
And you thought you'ld get it for free? That's what OTA is for- since over 60% of US receives their reception exclusively over cable, this announcement seems no different than the current situation.

Personally I think this is good news- the more services the better.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- More than three-fourths of HDTV owners are willing to pay a fee for an HD programming package.

I pay for SD programming and I'd pay for HD programming. But what I don't want to pay for is redundant channels. I pay for ESPN, just make it the HD version.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
wow, this is a huge difference just since 2000. i remember working at curcit city where we had one hdtv, hooked up only to a 480p source (which we had to get from a computer) playing a demo dvd. i would tell people it was high definition and they would just be pretty confused. the salesmen i worked with didn't know ANYTHING about it. customers balked at the $8,000 price on the hd rptv. i recently went into the same location i used to work in, and it looks as if more than half (a conservative estimate) of the tvs 30" and over are hd compatible, and a number of people were looking (interested and impressed) at big hd rptvs. i remember just before i quit, people started buying hdtvs and becoming seriously interested in how to receive hd. they were still put off by the necessity of a satellite with a costly hd receiver, but hopefully with comcast in the area now that'll change dramatically. usually the "you have to buy a special reciever that's about $500" was a guaranteed deal-breaker. a ton more will be sold when salespeople (if they know what the hell they're talking about) can say "you can get hd through your current cable provider. you just need to call them and tell them you want digital cable with the high definition box, and they'll charge you five more bucks a month for that." okay, i'm rambling on like an old-timer, but still... people talk about the hd transition being a bust (well, not so much anymore) but we've come a long long way in just the last couple of years, so much so that it boggles my mind. still, 2006 is bearing down on us quite rapidly...

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cwallen

Apparently they forgot to add the words "via cable" to the above conclusion. Otherwise how does one explain that theres been over 4 million HD capable displays sold yet only a few hundred thousand DBS HD satellite receivers sold. Receivers that could decode all the free OTA HD that there is to be had (particularly in the big markets) and channels like HBO HD and SHO HD with no premium to be paid over the cost of the SD packages of those respective services that millions of people already pay for, not to mention access to at least a little HD-PPV and a channel like HDNet at no extra cost as well.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I doubt 81% of Americans could name the vice president of the U.S., so this is a good thing.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.