AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is posted in the correct location...but...why would CR post that picture quality is "excellent" in both HQ and SD modes in their reviews

This is throwing me off as I only subscribe to the most very 'basic' Comcast cable and may only receive HQ channels for local news etc. However, several customers owning the same LCD/Plasma sets post SD pic is terrible (scratching head)

Also, I'm only dealing with a standard DVD player...am I in for a serious let down?

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
the quality of SD material can vary, very greatly and as a comcast subscriber i can tell you that their SD is terrible and HD is not much better on many channels

the SD channels as so over compressed that i will refuse to watch them on either my Panny 37" S1 1080p LCD in my room or our Panny 50" X1 720p plasma in the living room

the further you can get from a smaller TV they less apparent the excessive compression is and the more viewable it becomes and that is why the HD channels that look bad to me on my 37" 1080p LCD in my room from 3-5 feet away actually look good on our 50" 720p in the living room from 10 feet or more away (we sit at 10 feet)

no matter what thought I've got some DVD's that will blow comcast's picture quality out of the water on any TV simply because its less compressed

resolution does you no good if the video signal is over compressed and that is a perfect example of it

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have Directv and SD channels on it are pretty bad on my 50" 1080p TV, but the SD looks pretty good on a 19" 720P TV.

But SD DVD using my upconverting bluray player looks great. They look good whether I play in 480p or upconvert to 1080i.

I think when Consumer Reports says SD picture quality is good they must be using DVD as the source.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan10 /forum/post/18276793

I think when Consumer Reports says SD picture quality is good they must be using DVD as the source.

Probably so...

Much of the material over DirectTV, DishNetwork & digital cable is NTSC material that is converted to digital on the fly for broadcast. This doesn't always produce the best results.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown /forum/post/18274110

Hope this is posted in the correct location...but...why would CR post that picture quality is "excellent" in both HQ and SD modes in their reviews

This is throwing me off as I only subscribe to the most very 'basic' Comcast cable and may only receive HQ channels for local news etc. However, several customers owning the same LCD/Plasma sets post SD pic is terrible (scratching head)

Also, I'm only dealing with a standard DVD player...am I in for a serious let down?

Thanks for any comments.

To directly answer your question, Consumer Reports rates Picture Quality on the basis of clarity, detail, and color accuracy of high-definition 1080i signals routed via HDMI, and (rates) Standard Definition using 480i signals routed via HDMI.

Their source material is of Excellent quality to show the potential of the sets they test. It would be rediculous to use poor quality signals.

CR no longer tests using DVD as they have determined over the years that a good quality transfer DVD tracks closely with HD source material.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18275706

the quality of SD material can vary, very greatly and as a comcast subscriber i can tell you that their SD is terrible and HD is not much better on many channels

The OP probably still has analog cable if subscribed to their most basic service. Is it even possible to compress analog SD content?

I just got digital cable from Comcast and haven't noticed a difference on SD yet from the analog days, but I am still using a 27" SD CRT until my HDTV arrives.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfert /forum/post/18321981

The OP probably still has analog cable if subscribed to their most basic service. Is it even possible to compress analog SD content?

I just got digital cable from Comcast and haven't noticed a difference on SD yet from the analog days, but I am still using a 27" SD CRT until my HDTV arrives.

Yep, I still have "analog cable"...and don't really want to give Comcast another red cent!

At best I'll be ditching Comcast and going with a digital antenna and over the air digital signal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts