AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Consumer Reports has never had an intelligent review of anything more complex than a toaster, so I wouldn't really worry about what they say about something as complex as a plasma display.

And I certainly wouldn't base a buying decision on anything they said about them.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I would. They are people, too. They buy sets off the shelf and not tricked-out, ISF-calibrated super panels. They reported on what they saw and what they measured. They indicated what they liked. One certainly doesn't have to agree with them but their voice is just as valid.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
I would. They are people, too. They buy sets off the shelf and not tricked-out, ISF-calibrated super panels. They reported on what they saw and what they measured. They indicated what they liked. One certainly doesn't have to agree with them but their voice is just as valid.
...just as valid as some clueless salesman. No, I think it's the worst possible advice; no better than going in yourself to a store pretty well uninformed and comparing things. You're placing trust in their evaluation where there's no expertise to be found. The blind leading the blind.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Quote:
The blind leading the blind.
Have your ever worked for Consumer Reports? No expertise to be found? How do you know? What credentials do you have to pass sweeping judgements like this on them?

This CR bashing is like me saying that you are the worst at whatever you do for a living and then sit back and think people are going to believe me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with Dswallow, Although I have never worked there, I am an expert on several of the items that now and again come up for review, and I can say that in those instances, they are way off the mark, more importantly they do not review what I would call the "better" or "higher quality" items that sometimes are reviewed, giving their readers a false sense of what really is the best of just a small percentage of the items on the market. At best they can only say they are giving a vague ranking to items that someone in their department has deemed representative of what consu,mers are buying or really want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.