AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I glanced at the latest Consumer Reports today. Their list of RP's was bigger than usual. Finally Samsung DLP RP's got tested and did well. As a matter of fact, the RP's seemed rated overall about as good as the Plazma and LCDs. As I recall, A Sony LCOS XBR was the very highest rated TV, into the low 80's, higher rated than the plazmas and LCDs.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Any self respecting AVS forum member has no need or concern for anything Consumer Reports has to say about rear projection, LCD, or plasma televisions

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan420 /forum/post/12983396

Any self respecting AVS forum member has no need or concern for anything Consumer Reports has to say about rear projection, LCD, or plasma televisions

As a member of this forum you are so far out wrong that it's pitiful. I am not the least bit ashamed that I rely on Consumer Reports for help in deciding my buying decisions on various items. After all, I don't have the means to assemble dozens of TVs together and evaluate them as to their quality and performance.

I feel the attitude you have shown is far from appreciated by many members of this forum and I think you owe an apology to them. By the way, thanks for helping me understand why your nick name is "Big Dumb Jerk" . Good day.

·
Registered
443 Posts
While I don't rely on CR as gospel I certainly use it as part of my evaluation process when purchasing things. I use their reliability ratings and then hit forums, epinions.com and other sites to round out my knowledge.

I will say that I have been the happy owner of a Sony 50" A10 RPTV for almost 2 years now and am very happy with it. The black levels aren't the best; but for what I paid at the time it was an excellent buy. Plus I have no lag issues whatsoever when gaming. Once tweaked with settings taken from here and then adjusted to my eye it puts out an excellent HD image.

I want my next set to be in the 55"-60" range. If RPTVs are still around in 5 years I will happily consider one for my next TV. Alas I wouldn't be buying another Sony then as they have left the RPTV marker. Panasonic, Samsung, JVC, and Mits are still around though!

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan420 /forum/post/12983396

In most cases I would agree with your comment on CR, but as many reviews have shown (including last month's ultimateAV) the Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 walked away with top honors for a RPTV.

Even a broken analog clock is correct twice a day.....

·
Registered
265 Posts
For the most part, especially when dealing with items that I know ANYTHING about, I've found them to be so far off the mark that I can't help but wonder if their articles usually do more harm than good... which is why I'm leary to trust them even for recommendatons on items I don't know about. When it comes to audio equipment and automotive recommendations, I've almost always found them to be completely off the mark. Their automotive reliability & satisfaction data doesn't even closely match JD Power's more extensive data, and they constantly fail to factor in a certain type of car's appeal to it's potential buyer (I still chuckle when I think back to 2002 when they ranked the Hyundai Tiberon significantly higher than the Camaro Z28 and Pontiac Trans Am. They completely miss the point that those cars appeal to 2 entirely different types of buyer). Their speaker testing procedures are useless and do nothing to actually determine what may be the "better" sounding speaker through any sort of useful analysis such as distortion analysis, or even frequency response for that matter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
While I do use consumer reports for buying appliances and lawnmowers, I have to agree that they are not the most up to date with their electronics ratings. I prefer to use magazine reviews, the internet, and my own viewing and listening experiences to buy expensive electronics. I have to say that I have not been disappointed in any of my purchases yet.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I realize my post was made without any thought.

Every time CR comes out with TV reviews the thread turns into a mess & I am not helping the situation.

For me personally CR has not been helpful in deciding on a TV set.

I have also used them for a recomendation on outdoor house paint with disasterious results, I had to repaint my house again 3 yrs later. In the case of house paint the problem is, after CR tests the paint for 8 or 10 yrs, the manufacturer of the best paint no longer makes their paint in the formulation that will last 10yrs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts