AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last December in discussing 27"-32" TVs Consumer Reports had a box labeled "HDTV: Still Not ready for prime time." The last sentence said, "Given the current paucity of programming and the probability that prices will drop, we think it's a reasonable strategy to stick with convential TV for now"

This December, in a 27"-36" TV article, while it thinks "an analog set is still a good bet " it goes on to say "There are several reasons you might consider spending between $1,100 and $2500 for an HD-ready set like the five in the Ratings." The closing sentence of the article is "At $1400, the 32-inch Samsung TSL3293HF doesn't cost much more than some high priced analog sets." Two boxes also explain digital tv.

A definite change in tone.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I was surprised when I read that article as well. Consumer reports tends to be very, very conservative with regard to new technologies. It is very encouraging that they have changed their tone, as I think they are representative of many mainstream consumers (and I use them for everything but high-tech stuff as well).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, but note that they rated the Sony DVP-NS700P best among progressive scans and they never even tested the RP56.

Of course, no mention of chroma bug.

To their credit, they did say there was a subtle difference between DVD-A and SACD and Redbook CD players.

This is not your grandfather's Consumer Reports!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Haven't seen the article, but I trust it doesn't do the one thing that would make their coverage worthwhile: detailed testing, accompanied by screen photos (zooming in on resolution-line 'merge' points), showing the resolution and measured contrast of each set reviewed. Such test data, using independent measurements, not manufacturer's specs, remains a glaring omission from the reviews I've seen. -- John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.