AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is more of a screen question than a projector question but how much matting should I order for my Seleco HT-200DM?

I want to contain any light spill from the projector and keep it from bouncing off of the cabinetry behind the screen. I need to determine how many inches of matting on the sides and bottom will be necessary to do this.

Help!

Phil http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
549 Posts
Phil,

If I remember correctly, it was just about 12" around the perimeter...but may have been less at the bottom.

We'd better check it out, I had it table mounted...about 48" from the floor. I do distinctly remember the spill being assymetrical.

Any active owners out there help me out here. My short term memory might be failing...

John

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John. 12" is quite a bit of masking but it is very important because I will have cabinets behind the screen that are a beautiful natural light oak and there is no way I am going to paint them black!

The Seleco will be projecting from about 7.5' high. I don't know if that makes a difference? I would imagine that projecting from that angle may make the spill greater on the bottom part of the screen??

·
Registered
549 Posts
Phil,

Give Mike Verkinder of Seleco a call, he should be able to answer your question. I think he has the DM that I reviewed in his possession, and would be happy to answer your question. I cannot give you his number here, but call their home office and tell them to forward your message.

Then...tell us all how quickly they respond!! This is something I cannot test at the mag, how a manufacturer responds. They ALWAYS answer our questions...go figure.

Sim2 Seleco in Florida: (954) 442-2999.

Actually, Robin, their head service guy, might be able to answer more quickly. He works at their office, while Mike is out here in CA.

Sincerely,

John

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John, I will call them first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Phil,

My HT200DM is mounted 5' off the ground and behind me. I'm using a 100" diagonal 16x9 screen. The screen has a 3" black felt (I think) border all around. The light spill from the bottom of the frame is 5". The light spill at the top is not a problem for me as it throws onto the ceiling which is grey (or gray!). But as my projector is sited virtually central to the screen, the light spill would also be 5". The side light spill is only a couple of inches. I have put black material on the sides and bottom of the screen and this has completely eliminated the problem. The black felt (or whatever it is!) on the frame border itself does a brilliant job of absorbing stray light.

Hope this helps.

PS I'm sorry to hear about your long wait for the 200DM. Here in Australia I was fortunate enough to have a demo of the unit at home on a Monday and after deciding to buy it the unit was installed that Friday!

------------------

Derek

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Vu, that is in line with what Seleco told me this morning. They said that the light spill was at most 2.5-3 inches.

I will probably do 6 inches on the bottom and top and at least 3 inches on the sides.

I may go with 6 inches on the sides to make it even all the way around and then the masking would come to the edge of my cabinets which are 9 feet across.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Phil,

They must have changed something from my demo model then. Good. I thought 12" for a 100" diagonal screen was excessive. I just wish they'd keep me in the loop on these changes.

Cool, enjoy. (when it arrives!)

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.