AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife has given approval for the construction of a HT. The dimensions will likely be 18' x 11' x 8'. I already have a nice RP and speaker system, so this will have to do for a while, but I think I'll build the system with the future in mind (e.g. projector wiring, mount, etc.)

My main reason for wanting a dedicated HT is to be able to play my movies without alarming the family. It'd be nice to watch Sopranos without worrying about my girls hearing the F-fenheimers flying or walking by the set when Tony is in the Badda Bing Club (if you know what I mean).

What do you folks think about the dimensions? Doable? I'd like a bigger space, but don't think it's possible.

Interested in any feedback.

TCB

·
Registered
204 Posts
18 x 11 would be just right. No need to be any larger. I just wish I had those dimensions to work with. The sound and pic would be much more dynamic in a room along those dimensions.

If that were my dimensions.....screen would be 16:9 80" wide at least

with some sort of small stage. 1st row of seating to be 10-11 feet from screen.....2nd row if possible on riser.

Incorporate 2-3 columns on each side maybe housing the surrounds in the rear columns.

BUILD IT!! I've only got a space 9 x 11 to do a dedicated theatre in, so consider yourself real lucky to have the space available.

Have fun with it.

Jazzy

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Jazzy.

What is the purpose of the columns, aside from hiding the surrounds?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jazzy,

The photos of Matt's home theater are awesome. I wonder what the dimensions are for his HT...

I might be able to squeeze out a few more feet by extending even further into the back yard: assuming it is legal and the wife doesn't mind. I might try for 20' x 12' x 8'.

I really don't know how to begin this project. We had a draftsman come to do some drawings. We are putting a four-season porch above and the home theater beneath.

I really want to just build the nice theater (future ready) and then when I recover financially...add the latest and greatest equipment. My Pioneer Elite Pro RPTV will fill the gap.

I wonder if I should get Dennis Erskine to provide the basic plan.

Lots of things to consider. We will likely start construction later this summer.

TCB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.