AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Over the last 4 years, i've graduated from owning a desktop computer hooked up to an Optoma H31 projector, to a monster HTPC hooked up to a 47" LCD TV. I will shortly be moving back to the US, and am thinking about a new theater setup in the basement that features dual projectors/HTPC for a very large 1080p viewing experience with the viewers seated approximately 20-25 ft from the screen. All video inputs to the projectors would come from a single nVidia 8800GTX video card in the HTPC. Question is, do you know of, or are familiar with this type of setup? Do you think that it would be better to use dual 720p projectors instead of 1080p projectors due to wasted pixels w/ the 1080p units? I know with some creative engineering I can align both projectors optimally, with minimal overlap/gap, and that I can adjust both displays either through the projectors settings and/or the nVidia utilities to get the settings equal between the two projectors. However, how does bulb aging affect the output brightness/colors of projectors? What kind of screen should I build? A flat screen wrapped on a flat frame, or a semi-"wraparound" screen with a slight curve to it so not to distort the image too much? Any way, if anyone has experience making this type of HT design, i'd love to hear about it. Thanks in advance!

·
RETIRED theater builder
37,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootch420 /forum/post/18128212

with the viewers seated approximately 20-25 ft from the screen.

How many seats do you want in your theater? this sounds way too far, you could cut the distance in half, get a smaller screen and you won't need to fool around with converging two different projectors.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
wasted pixels? If I were running digital I would want every pixel I could get... especially at 20-25 ft.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It depends. I spent years (yes YEARS) messing with several different set ups.

I consider those years wasted.

I would simply get the largest flat acoustically transparent screen you can fit and the best 1080p projector you can afford and an oppo 83 bluray player or ps3 and call it good. That is unless you are single and love messing with htpcs and such.

The HTPC that I built and tweeked for years for 3-4k is the one that I am now typing on. It is relegated to surfing the net and paying bills.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, single projector then? I planned on having a couch and two seats flanking it. I didn't want it to get too large, where you have to turn your head to see the whole screen. My thought was that even at 1080p the pixels get bigger the further the projector is from the screen.. That's why I was entertaining dual projectors to cram more pixels onto a large screen. I guess the term HTPC is misleading, I really don't use it like most people consider a HTPC. Right now I am seated on my couch in the living room, typing on a DiNovo Edge bluetooth keyboard, 10 feet away from my 47" TV. with the "HTPC" on the shelf of the entertainment center above the TV. I us it as a regular computer, however i watch TV on it, watch HD movies on it from my 10TB eSATA storage, play games on it, download and rip content and of course surf the net.

I just didn't know if the dual projectors would be as usable as say the dual LCD screens at work are, and if it had been done before with success.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.