AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate making posts like this probably about as much as people like reading (or skipping) them. However, I'm up against a wall here with time running out and desperately need some advice.

I purchased a Samsung HL67A750 based on the (pretty glowing) reviews of it in the "other" forum. I knew that, being based on RPTV tech, there would be RPTV-related issues (like viewing angle and brightness issues during daytime viewing).

As I obtained this set from Amazon, they have a completely open no-questions-asked return policy. But my time to make a final "keep or no keep" determination runs out in about ten days.

I had seen the HL in stores like BB and HHG and was fairly impressed with it, even in each store's "torch" mode. It did NOT look as good as smaller-sized plasmas (and even LCDs), but the gigantic screen size was what eventually won me over. You see, the TV was primarily purchased for the benefit of my father - who is now legally blind - as a replacement for an old 36" CRT.

In the most perfect of situations, the HL does look fantastic. We were watching the New Year's celebrations and the picture was eye-popping. Other HD sources look similarly stunning.

The problem is with SD material. It looks eye-wateringly soft. I've tweaked it based on the settings posted in the HL threads, but I was watching my store-bought DVDs of House last night and it just looked bad. And House is just one example.

I've also noticed what I think might be a convergence issue. I've thought about getting it calibrated, but I'm dubious this will solve the root issue. There's also this green line that appears from time to time when using my HTPC.

Unfortunately, the majority of the content we watch is still SD-only. So, I've got a stomach-tightening decision to make -> keep the HL and enjoy it primarily for its HD performance or go plasma and try to get the best of both worlds.

Now, I know I don't have a snowball's chance of affording a plasma even approaching 67". I can't afford a Kuro or some other ultra-high-end model. I have to keep things around the $3.5k mark. As such, I've narrowed things down to either the LG 60PG60 or the Samsung PN63A650, both of which received high marks on CNET. These aren't the only models I would consider, but price is a big concern. I don't want to go any smaller than 60" due to my father's condition.

I know this is a plasma advocacy forum and not a neutral discussion base, but you guys (and girls) have these TVs. You've weighed your options and I'm sure some of you seriously considered the HL RPTVs, but ultimately chose the plasma route. I've obviously seen these in stores, but home environments are much more different, especially when it comes to SD material.

So, would you return the HL for a plasma? Will spending $1000-1500 more yield a far more pleasant viewing experience, particularly for SD programs? I'm EXTREMELY torn, hence this post. And I have to make a final decision very, very soon. Thanks for reading (and, hopefully, responding).

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
How far are you sitting from your tv? I ask because SD material looks terrible on all technologies when you sit too close. I don't think paying $1500 more will make you any happier. If you are 12' or further then switching may help. The more you spend the better the components are inside.

I have an older Samsung DLP and love it, but when I buy my next HDTV, it will be a plasma or some new technology that isn't available yet. I really want to get better blacks and LCD doesn't do it for me. When I bought my DLP it was $2000 (50") and 42" plasmas were $4,000 and up. Image retention/ burn in was also a factor. With those almost a complete non-issue now I would opt for spending more and buying the plasma.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fleggett,

Let me first say, I am not a videophile so take my comments as such. Last year I was all set to buy the 61" samsung (6189 I believe). Then they announced the 67" was coming, so I waited. Meanwhile, I really started to pay much closer attention to the picture quality difference between the different displays. I kept finding myself drawn to the plasma display as being the most brilliant of them all. For me the viewing angles were very important in the room where the display would be, so that pretty much nixed the RPTV. Originally i was motivated by price, but somewhere along the way my decision making shifted to picture quality. Long story short, I waited several more months and then in May of last year, I pulled the trigger on the Panny 65pz750. I love it and don't regret the decision at all to turn away from the RPTV.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was drawn to plasmas, too. Almost instantly. Even LCDs looked really good, but plasmas were like reality on steroids.

Unfortunately, you can't walk into a BB or HHG anymore and see SD content (well, maybe you can if you pushed it). It's all the same recycled HD stuff endlessly looped. I suspect the video itself is a bit tailored, but hey, you can view it at practically any angle and it looks maaaaaaahvelous.

I'd say I sit about eight feet away, primarily on a couch about 50 degrees left of center. My father sits about the same on the right. My dear ole ma' in the center about 12 feet back (that's probably TMI, but I'm just covering bases here).

I'd love to give the 65PZ750 a whirl, but you're talking $5700 (current Amazon price). The PN63A650 is $3500, which will atomize my piggy bank. Any more than that and I run the risk of creating a mini fiscal black hole.

I dunno what to do. I'm content with the HD image on the HL (even though I suspect it needs servicing), but I'm not a "content" sort of guy, especially at these price points. SD is years away from being phased out completely and I can already see our HD channels degrading in quality as stations are added (thanks fer nuthin', Bright House!). I want a TV that can better handle lower resolution material and the HL just isn't satisfying that desire.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The newer Panasonic 65PZ850U is available from 6ave.com for 4,898.00 (without the pedestal).

Or get the 58PZ850 which will drop you down in price quite abit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude /forum/post/15566613

The newer Panasonic 65PZ850U is available from 6ave.com for 4,898.00 (without the pedestal).

You're still talking a HUGE $1400 differential for just three more inches of screen real-estate (versus the PN63A650). Are the blacks better? Is 24Hz material properly displayed? Is there any other motion judder or stutter that's greatly reduced with the 65PZ850U? Does it play nice with HTPCs (this is actually a HUMONGOUS concern, as I use an HTPC to play prerecorded SD and HD content)? Is it really that much better of a TV? I don't care about umpteen gazillion inputs, ethernet ports, PiP, stock and weather updates, etc. For me, it's all about the screen and what it can deliver when I'm watching the local SD news, made-for-TV-movie, or my SD Battlestar DVDs. I'm putting the emphasis on SD here because I'm assuming the HD side of the equation will be pretty breathtaking with either model.

Quote:
Or get the 58PZ850 which will drop you down in price quite abit.

True, but I'm not going any lower than 60" when the PN63A650 and 60PG60 are viable options.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
It sounds like you've already made up your mind...

Keep in mind, while samsung and lg make fantastic sets, they do tend to suffer from IR more noticeably than panasonic or pioneer. You'll want to be careful with a lot of 4:3 content- stretching the image is best, grey window box is ok in a pinch- avoid black window box.

I never considered DLP due to its' baked-in input lag. Always liked the picture though: big, bright and no SDE. My cousin has a 73" samsung dlp and the viewing angles don't seem so bad. Plus, he gets to brag everytime anyone else in th fanily gets a new tv... "What size did you get? Mmm... Mine you ask? Oh it's a 73... Yeah... 73 inches..." He's such an ass!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleggett /forum/post/15568594

You're still talking a HUGE $1400 differential for just three more inches of screen real-estate (versus the PN63A650). Are the blacks better? Is 24Hz material properly displayed? Is there any other motion judder or stutter that's greatly reduced with the 65PZ850U? Does it play nice with HTPCs (this is actually a HUMONGOUS concern, as I use an HTPC to play prerecorded SD and HD content)? Is it really that much better of a TV? I don't care about umpteen gazillion inputs, ethernet ports, PiP, stock and weather updates, etc. For me, it's all about the screen and what it can deliver when I'm watching the local SD news, made-for-TV-movie, or my SD Battlestar DVDs. I'm putting the emphasis on SD here because I'm assuming the HD side of the equation will be pretty breathtaking with either model.

True, but I'm not going any lower than 60" when the PN63A650 and 60PG60 are viable options.

I would go with the samsung PN63A650. Bigger screen and in my humble opininion, the better set of the two. I have a 50" sammy and love the thing. The picture is fantastic, and I also watch a lot of SD content. Bite the bullet and and get the samsung,you wont be disapointed!!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleggett /forum/post/15566153

I'd love to give the 65PZ750 a whirl, but you're talking $5700 (current Amazon price). The PN63A650 is $3500, which will atomize my piggy bank. Any more than that and I run the risk of creating a mini fiscal black hole.

I would advise you to look to some of the forum sponsors for better pricing, that is what I did. PM me if you want more details.

One other comment I would make is that I have noticed when watching a channel that doesn't have an HD signal (I use Dish) the SD content seems very viewable. However, if I am watching one of the HD channels and switch to its SD counterpart the SD picture is completely awful. For example, viewing ESPN HD and then dropping one channel to ESPN...if that makes any sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts