AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
33,441 Posts
Sony A6000, 1080p. I realize that Ken and Mark will not like the milky-foggy grading, I think it looks nice most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFyzZFpLeBk

I started thinking about an A5100 - same sensor size. Yes, no mic input and very few controls, but it has flip-out screen for selfies, similar video quality to the A6000 above, and can be found for less than $300 used on Ebay, or $400 new, body only.
I don't like the milky=foggy look. I can send him some lens cleaning tissue. ;)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I prefer GH5 Hybrid Log Gamma in 4K. If you are on a limited budget I guess that is what you a stuck with.
Yes, this is a budget camera nowadays. I researched it, like many Sony cameras of the recent years, it is prone to overheating, likewise the A5100.

I agree, the Isobel clip looks better, they managed to preserve grays while keeping enough contrast, this is always a struggle of mine: either contrast and no details, or more grays and milky image.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, the Isobel clip looks great even on my SDR phone and tablet screens. The differences between the original SDR and HLG HDR footage as converted by YouTube to display on regular SDR screens like mine are easy to see like the comparison clips we saw between the Sony AX100's SDR and Sony AX700's HLG we discussed previously in another thread despite the shots being only highly compressed 8-bit 4:2:0.

My conclusion at this juncture is shooting in HLG is a no brainer if your materials are to be posted on YouTube. No need to understand the intricacies of hardware change and no need to wait for anything on the viewers' side to catch up. The benefits are already there and only get better if the viewers have suitable hardware.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Some more Sony A5100 videos.

This one is a family vacation, the whole video is shot with the 50mm prime! The music is completely wrong, but the images are nice.

Another video from the same guy, same setup. Joe may like this one ;-)

And finally, another video by the same guy, Christmas-themed (he is very prolific with his A5100):

Mark, imagine how better your video could be with a tripod, or a stabilizer, or a slider. ;-) Right, I think you already got the stabilizer, and not just an old-school one, but an electronically controlled.

·
Registered
33,441 Posts
Looking at that 'Isabel' video, you can see how nicely HLG transitioned to SDR. Watching on my iMac, the images are still beautiful. Very nicely done.

I initially thought that HLG might be somewhat of a gimmick, but the more I'm seeing the more I'm liking what I see.

However the huge file sizes are still an issue. It will be interesting to see if FCP is able to handle these files, and do so in a manageable way, once they issue the software update coming soon.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Tomorrow

"Moore did not expect to get permission from Disney to shoot there given his negative, surrealistic portrayal of the park. Instead he used guerrilla filmmaking techniques, which sometimes call for using locations without getting permission. The film was shot using the video mode of two Canon EOS 5D Mark II and one Canon EOS 1D Mark IV digital single-lens reflex cameras, which helped the filmmakers look more like typical park visitors. Actors and crew used their iPhones to communicate and store information such as the script—that way, they looked like guests casually using their phones. The phones were also used to record sound, in addition to digital recorders taped to each actor's body that were left running all day."

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry Joe, I did not watch this "review". But no matter whether the movie is good or not, the point is they used consumer-grade cameras and smartphones for, well, professional production. And these were not even 4K cameras ;-)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
A lot of his fans I know would never care if it's only 1080p. They have been watching his videos at even lower resolutions than that, on the trains, buses, cars, planes or sneakily in work places over lousy Wifi and cellular. This split screen would still kill it even at 720p or lower. In place of a 4K screen, I think a nice pair of earbuds would be more useful. The guy has failed so many times with focus but I don't remember him failing at the sound, which is maybe half of his great content.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Two Brothers

Mal and Mike Leyland were pioneers of outback documentary-making, first setting off to Central Australia in 1960. Mal was just 15 and Mike 19. Their television shows in the 1970s and '80s were so popular that their theme song, "Ask The Leyland Brothers", remains familiar to millions of viewers today.

DICK SMITH said:
Adventurers who were actually going out and paying for their adventure by selling the film to a television station — it was just unique in those days. The cost of making the documentary was about twice what you could sell if for and that was ridiculous and I’d ask people “how does this work out?”, and they said “oh, that’s just documentary film-making”. I said, “hold on, the Leyland Brothers are making a fortune, it’s obvious”. And that’s why I went and asked the Leyland Brothers “how do you do it?”, and they told me they used Super 8 film, they were doing it almost home movie style, which everyone loved, there was a charm to it, and it meant they could make really good money out of it.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The movie that has made the most money (not in absolute terms but still hugely impressive by Hollywood's box office standard) relative to the budget? Paranormal Activity. If it weren't for the content you might as well call it visual crap.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
260K views for THIS? I am scratching my head too.
304K + :D
4K DCI 4096x2160 with my GH4 .

After a tumultuous 2017, YouTube is making yet another change to its guidelines surrounding channel monetization and advertiser approval. In posts to its Advertiser and Creator blogs, YouTube details how it's changing the threshold for monetization through its YouTube Partner Program (YPP), from 10,000 lifetime views to 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of watch time within the past 12 months. That means that small creators who already passed the previous 10,000 lifetime view milestone, but not the new goals, will be removed from the YouTube Partner Program starting February 20 and will be unable to monetize their videos in that manner.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/youtube-raises-subscriber-view-threshold-for-partner-program-monetization/

I only have 660 subscribers and need 340 more to make money like I did back in 2010 before the rule change.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Everything from early digicams to GL2 to Canon 5D to Canon C300 to Sony PMW-X70 but again the equipment is not important. I watched this movie, and I think it has earned all the accolades you can read about it.

https://nofilmschool.com/2018/08/minding-gap-bing-liu-interview
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/sundance-documentary-camera-films-non-fiction-1201918709/
https://www.vox.com/summer-movies/2018/8/17/17705484/minding-the-gap-interview-bing-liu-domestic-abuse-rockford-hulu
Ungermann,

I live next to a top tier skate park. It is always busy. I suspect the stories run deep!

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I only have 660 subscribers and need 340 more to make money like I did back in 2010 before the rule change.
How much were you getting, $100 a year? Meh. You cannot live on this. Should be at least - at least - $3K/mo to leave the day job. so far I have 470 subscribers and about 2100 hours for the last 12 months. So... YouTube's limits are reasonable, I'd say. They probably spent more money processing and sending all those $100 checks than they were getting from advertisers. My local library abandoned late fees, because they figured it was costing them more to keep the staff and software and the office to charge people than they were getting from the fees. As a result, people keep books for longer, I could not get a book I wanted so had to buy one.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts