AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
How much were you getting, $100 a year? Meh. You cannot live on this. Should be at least - at least - $3K/mo to leave the day job. so far I have 470 subscribers and about 2100 hours for the last 12 months. So... YouTube's limits are reasonable, I'd say. They probably spent more money processing and sending all those $100 checks than they were getting from advertisers. My local library abandoned late fees, because they figured it was costing them more to keep the staff and software and the office to charge people than they were getting from the fees. As a result, people keep books for longer, I could not get a book I wanted so had to buy one.
Are you on stupid pills or what. I am retired and never uploaded any videos to youtube to make money.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Are you on stupid pills or what. I am retired and never uploaded any videos to youtube to make money.
Good day to you too. If you never had cared about the money, why do you care now? Did you forget to take your dissociative identity disorder pills?

·
Registered
33,452 Posts
I agree Joe, I don't think most people who upload their videos are motived out of profit. We were just at a friend's house and I showed him my Iceland video on his smart TV's YouTube app in 4K. Can't get much easier than that! :)

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Ken, that is exactly what I use youtube for, to show friends and family videos from as far back as 1985. I was happy to get money from Google back in 2010 with my TM700 video of the 777 dumping fuel but my main reason was to show the video to friends and family. I use Flickr the same way for photos.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ken, that is exactly what I use youtube for, to show friends and family videos from as far back as 1985. I was happy to get money from Google back in 2010 with my TM700 video of the 777 dumping fuel but my main reason was to show the video to friends and family. I use Flickr the same way for photos.
Then why moaning about YouTube not paying you anymore? BTW, have you backed up your Flickr photos? https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/...ree-accounts-changes-pro-subscription-smugmug

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
“It kind of feels like smartphone filmmaking is to contemporary filmmakers what 16 mm and the French New Wave was back in the ’60s: cheaper, faster, and more honest in a way.”

I never cared for the Ocean's junk, but I may watch this one.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/20...h-flying-bird-iphone-tangerine-unsane-netflix

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/8/1...hone-andre-holland-zachary-quinto-zazie-beetz

"In all of these cases, FiLMiC Pro continues to be the camera app of choice, with its manual control, high bit rates and more recently its computational LogV2 encoding profile. However, what is interesting is that Soderbergh’s camera of choice has been the iPhone 7 for Unsane, and iPhone 8 for High Flying Bird, neither of which feature Apple’s computational smartHDR and dynamic tone mapping features. To me, this makes sense, as these cameras behave a bit more predictable than the latest generation iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR devices. I am still wrestling a bit with the XS Max and XR’s tone mapping, which while totally useable, and under control with FiLMiC Pro, I probably wouldn’t want to deal with it on a critical project."

https://www.cinema5d.com/shot-on-iphone-for-netflix-soderberghs-latest-film-high-flying-bird/

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Why mucking around with cellphones in critical projects? Why not using cameras, any cameras? Wouldn't that be easier? How much more $ would it cost, $1K, $2K for the entire project? I have the feeling all this great cellphone cinematographic stories have always been mainly for bragging rights and commercial publicity. I even fell for UNSANE partly because of the iPhone bragging and partly because of the director's name. You watch the movie and be the judge.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Why mucking around with cellphones in critical projects? Why not using cameras, any cameras? Wouldn't that be easier? How much more $ would it cost, $1K, $2K for the entire project? I have the feeling all this great cellphone cinematographic stories have always been mainly for bragging rights and commercial publicity. I even fell for UNSANE partly because of the iPhone bragging and partly because of the director's name. You watch the movie and be the judge.
Samsung paid Casey Neistat to make a short movie (First Day of Summer) on a Samsung Galaxy S8 in France back in 2017.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
As much as I like some of his videos including this one and another about opening up some unused building for underprivileged children to enjoy their Christmas in Detroit or Cleveland also shot with a Samsung phone you can actually see they could have been done a lot better with a proper camera and lenses.

Arri or Red could have paid him to shoot those two projects with much better results with their gear but it obviously Samsung got to him first. Probably with a much more attractive financial offers too.

And what's up with that two-handed Ronin gimbal? Would phone users who have to use their phones to capture precious impromptu or fleeting moments bother carrying it around?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Free Solo, the best feature documentary I ever seen

In the documentary Free Solo, filmmaker Jimmy Chin chronicles Alex Honnold's attempt to become the first person to ever climb the 3,000 foot face of El Capitan in Yosemite National Park - without ropes or safety gear. The harrowing shooting conditions on the side of a mountain required compact, versatile gear that could capture the drama of the climb, and Jimmy relied on Canon's Cinema EOS cameras and lenses to get the job done. In this video, Jimmy details how the power, versatility, and imaging excellence of his gear enabled him to capture one of the greatest athletic achievements in history.

update:

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Content is Completely Absent: A Cinematic Experience

Yes, a widescreen aspect ratio (2:35), orange and teal grading, and a bombastic film score. All that is needed for a "real" cinematic experience, except a story and interesting characters...Shot on a DJI Osmo Pocket in Cinemalike D with ND 8X + PL filters.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
And those sample "cinematic" footage reels from brand-spanging new pre-production devices in blueish cool cast that only make the majority of viewers wonder if all that new stuff can ever shoot something called normal looking video.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
"So wrong they're right" - a documentary about underground 8-track culture in the late 1990s.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It seems that I haven't posted "Iraq in fragments" yet. Now, when it is available on YouTube from the original author, it would be inexcusable to not post it here. Shot with the DVX100 in widescreen 24p, which is why it is softer than it could be (the DVX100 sensor is natively 4:3).

41 - 60 of 60 Posts