Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it to myself --

I think the darn thing overheated. I need to get a bigger fan on the it now that it is in the entertainment center.

Well, what is the latest accepted treatment for when it goes into the "please wait one minute" mode, then blanks and starts again?

It's a ReplayTV 3020 I've got an 80 gig in it now -- I have the original drive on-the-shelf. Reformat the hard drive? Is there any way to save the shows?

Where/what is the latest and greatest ReplayTV 3000 series drive hack program?

Thanks for your helpful remarks!

Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a problem with one very much like your problem. Tech support told me to hold the power button in while unplugging and replugging the power cord from and back into the Showstopper.

It didn't work and they sent me a new one, but that is apparently on of the troubleshooting things they do. Couldn't hurt to try huh?

Rich

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have said that I'd tried that already -- soft reboot or hard, didn't make a difference. I left it unplugged for several hours -- to let it cool to room temperature. When i plugged it back in, it was still in the continuous boot cycle.

It's not only upgraded but two years old -- so not under warranty.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Go to http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/utility.html Near the middle of the page you'll find the upgrade options, choose the one that applies to your home PC. Follow the link and you'll come across the RTVPatch program download.

You could repatch the drive first to see if that corrects the problem. Hook the replay disk up to your computer - start RTVPatch - set drive as target and perform the patch saying no to the reset partition questions. Put the drive back into the replay to see if it boots up (if you moved the drive jumper make sure you put it back to where it was before i.e. master or cable select).

If the drive still won't boot you'll need to do the entire upgrade procedure copying the system files from partition 1 of your original drive.

Good luck

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had the same problem and the only thing that worked for me was to remove the drives, low lefel format them and then reinstall the replay image file, been fine since doing it a few months ago (touch wood).

Brian

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and advice, folks.

I was unable to save the programming on the 80 gig drive; recopying partition 1 fixed the problem. I ran the 80 gig drive through a software update using "net connect", and then backed up the system files on each drive -- the original 20 gig drive, and on the updated 80 gig drive. Then I married the 20 gig drive to the 80 to give myself an extra 20 hours of standard record, and added two small (1.5" diameter blade/2" square) fans blowing out of the unit -- it seems to be running cool again even in the entertainment center.

Thanks again,

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.