AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ReplayTV 5080 is only about 4 months old and is having problems. It continuously reboots and doesn't give me the ability to use the remote to input any codes. It turns on with the Welcome screen, then moves to the next screen saying to press the Menu or Channel buttons, then goes to the Please Wait screen. After several minutes it stops and puts the Welcome screen back up again.

I tried doing what tech support suggested on the Replay website regarding changing DHCP setting, etc., but nothing works. Like I said, the remote doesn't work at any point during this process. Sonic Blue wants me an RMA the unit but before sending it to Memphis, I want to try something else...

The tech support people said that when my unit tried to log into their server over the past 2 days, it recieved an "undefined error" and never connected.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Please post here should you find a resolution and I will do the same. It's sounding like this is a defect and we may need to get our systems replaced. What a hassle!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
You most likely have some filesystem corruption.

You have two options, RMA or reformat/reimage the drive yourself.

There are many threads on this topic along with pros/cons.

There is a very good chance after reimage your unit will boot ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was watching a show, set a recording, and when I tried to change channels to the channel that the recording was about to come on, my Replay rebooted, and has continued to do so in perpetuity....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Replay5Xer
Sonic Blue wants me an RMA the unit but before sending it to Memphis, I want to try something else...
I had the same problem with my 4-month old unit. I think you've got two options: RMA the unit or void the warranty and try to fix it yourself.

It just depends on what you're most comfortable doing.

I RMA'ed my unit and I only had to go without it for a week and a half.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yes, I would recommend doing the RMA. Turnaround on RMAs is pretty good. There are plenty of the 40hr units available. And, if you have any trouble with the RMA, just drop me a note.

Lyndon

·
Registered
478 Posts
So you got to stick around, then? Glad to hear it!

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
RMA that puppy! A week and a half isn't too long to wait. You'd feel like a fool if you reimaged it and found out it was a hardware problem and you were stuck. Especially if you have lifetime.

Hmm, maybe I'm not so sure. If you RMA the unit in they might send you back a refurbished one. You might "request" to be returned the same unit but that might mean extra wait(maybe alot) and if it was a hardware problem you might be sent back the same hardware problemed unit.

When a unit messed up when it is booting, what are the rough odds it is merely an image problem? 2/3, 19/20?

Heck if I know.

I wrote it this scitzo way to to encourage some input. What do people know about this? What have I said that is true and what have I said that can be corrected?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think you can have them repair "your" unit...they automatically send out a refurbished unit the same day they receive yours. You could ask, I guess, though....

Personally, I've had 2 refurbs sent to me: the first unit returned had another problem...but the appearance of both looked "brand new" on the cases...no scratches or anything.

I sent mine both FedEx Ground, since it gets to Memphis from where I live in 2 days anyway. SB sends your replacement out as FedEx Express Saver.

I'd suggest you go for the RMA and keep the warranty intact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I've had my unit less than 30 days, a 5080, and it started doing this tonight. At first it flashed a message on screen that the unit would be unavailable for 2 minutes while it did some maintenance, when I came back to the unit, it was in this continuous reboot cycle. What gives? I am suspicious that this is happening right after D&M took possession of the company. Any ideas? Guess I will call customer service in the morning...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pawnslinger
I am suspicious that this is happening right after D&M took possession of the company. Any ideas?
It has nothing to do with D&M. My 5080 had the continual reboot problem before the D&M acquisition.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
Still here.
Fantastic! But when will you be changing the reference to SB in your signature block?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Well, What gives? I am suspicious that this is happening right after D&M took possession of the company. Any ideas? Guess I will call customer service in the morning...
And why would D&M wish to sabotage your 5080 ?

The Truth is out there .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
And why would D&M wish to sabotage your 5080 ?

The Truth is out there .

I don't think I used the word "sabotage". I used the word "suspicious". Big difference. On the 1st night after they took control, at exactly 12 midnight eastern time, my Replay said that it needed 2 minutes for maintenance. This is suspicious on its face, because it had never interrupted prime time before (it had always waited for the wee hours). I am suspicious of incompetence, trying to make some sort of change/impression at the beginning of their tenure and it went astray. I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but I do believe that the best laid plans go awiry.

The Truth is out there? Only on X-Files.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kooyah
It has nothing to do with D&M. My 5080 had the continual reboot problem before the D&M acquisition.
Fair enough. But why did my unit demand 2 minutes of maintenance during prime time (at midnight Saturday night)? This seems very odd to me, but I've only had the unit for a few weeks.

I am considering returning the unit to Best Buy, it is still within their 30 day return window. I will have to pay a restocking fee, but perhaps it is better to leave a bad situation completely (obviously to me, SonicBlue going bankrupt is a bad situation, no matter how good D&M is -- if I had known beforehand about the bankruptcy I would have thought long and hard about buying a replay unit).

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Fair enough. But why did my unit demand 2 minutes of maintenance during prime time (at midnight Saturday night)? This seems very odd to me, but I've only had the unit for a few weeks.
Probably because all 5040s reboot once a week and you may just not

have noticed it before because you weren't at the console.

If it's not that, you may have reset the natural "reboot" time inadvertantly

by doing a soft-reboot (holding in the power button) sometime around

midnight the week before.

BTW is your life time-shifted or something? Last I remember primetime

was 8-11pm. :) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
If it's not that, you may have reset the natural "reboot" time inadvertantly

by doing a soft-reboot (holding in the power button) sometime around

midnight the week before.

BTW is your life time-shifted or something? Last I remember primetime

was 8-11pm. :) :)
Well, not that it makes any difference, but we usually stay up late. Until 1am or so. Shift work does that to do. :(

Yes, you may be on the right track about the natural reboot time having been reset by a soft-book, but it still bugs me that it was exactly at midnight... I was watching the unit at the time... it was right after recording completed for Law & Order (which is 9-10pm my time here and midnight eastern time... we are 2 hours behind out west here in AZ).

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:

Yes, you may be on the right track about the natural reboot time having been reset by a soft-book, but it still bugs me that it was exactly at midnight... I was watching the unit at the time... it was right after recording completed for Law & Order (which is 9-10pm my time here and midnight eastern time... we are 2 hours behind out west here in AZ).
You should be happy then, it probably wanted to reboot even before it did

but was courteous enough to wait for your recording of L&O to stop. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm about to pull my hair out. I have connected the Replay 5040 drive to my PC and RTV Patch recognizes it. I have copied the image from the FTP site listed. However, I don't understand how to:

1. Low-level format the drive (although I have read you can download a utility from the hard drive manufacturer).

2. Get the image that I downloaded to the "rebooting Replay drive". The instructions that come with the program are written for those who are upgrading. When I point to the hard drive that holds the image I downloaded, RTV patch says that it is a non-replay partition that may be a system disk. It is, in fact, a disk holding data for my PC. I don't want to corrupt that data at all. I just want to get the image file from this disk to the Replay. Do I need to accept the warning and proceed?

Thanks for any help!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.