AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it make sense to get a B-deap - to handle bass to around 25-30HZ and then let the contra take over for the extreme low bass-Does this make any sense- My room is 16x28 with 9 foot ceilings- thanks so much gary

·
Registered
27,209 Posts
Yes. If I had this option, I might have done it but my screen wall area was too narrow for a Contrabass. I think this would be an ideal option and my room is only slighty larger than yours.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey jeff- thanks for the response- I also have the Kharma Grand ceramique speakers(audio) and a pair of the kharma subs-I could run one of the Kharmas as my mid bass(they go down to 20hz) as they are more musical than thump-then use the contra OR would you use the b-deap and the contra- sorry for the confusing post- gary

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The new Danley PB12 "tower of power" appears to eclipse the contra and the b-deap. If you have the space.

·
Registered
27,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S
The new Danley PB12 "tower of power" appears to eclipse the contra and the b-deap. If you have the space.
I agree, it could be the next greatest sub. Though there is no formal reviews available, this sub has piqued my interest as well. I would certainly check it out.

I think if you are going this caliber of sub, I would sell your current subs and invest in a one or two box solution. I tell you, the B-DEAP & Contra pairing may be a match made in heaven (though I can personally vouch for a pair of B-DEAPs).

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
 http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/image...response60.jpg

If this graph is accurate, the tower of power matches the Contrabass at 15-17hz, and by the time it reaches 20hz it is 10db louder. That makes it superior across the entire spectrum and without the need for servo motors. I would get 2 and either stack them horizontally on the floor below the screen or in the corners of the room like columns. That would give ~120db from 16hz and up.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
bebop-

You are aware that Tom Danley = Servodrive = Contrabass right? The PB12 "ToP" is just his latest beast.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I know-thanks-Just want to make the right choice-Not sure now if The contrabass was the correct choice or I should cancel and go with the Tower???

·
Registered
27,209 Posts
FWIW, the Contra (and B-DEAPs) are known quantities here with extremely good reviews and positive user responses. The new Danley sub, though it appears to be very special, is yet to be tested here or owned by anyone else (or reviewed in a HT context - I am aware of any reviews). I always hate to be the first to own the latest and greatest that is untried in the theater venue as it may not pan out as well as other tried and true models. It may have some draw backs few are aware of).......but maybe not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.