AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello, I just purchased a UN60F7050AF - Samsung 60 inch 240hz LED. When I am in Standard picture mode something strange happens. When there is a dark background, the writing and logos on the screen also get darker to match the background. This is noted mostly in commercials when watching ESPN. On ESPN there is the bottomline that shows all the sports scores, and when it goes to commercial the bottomline is still there. Well when the commercials are dark, the bottomline also turns darker. This is really annoying and happens a lot during commercials on any channel because a lot of commercials end with a dark background with some information, and the information always turns abnormally dark. I have turned dynamic contrast off and it still happens....I can't seem to find a setting to eliminate this effect. Oddly enough it doesn't happen on Movie picture mode, only on Standard picture mode. Unfortunately Movie picture mode has a kind of washed out picture quality to it, so I don't like it. Can anybody provide some advice please?

·
Registered
287 Posts
In standard mode CE dimming is always active, you can do nothing with it. No in service menu, no in user menu. At least samsung led TVs all are working like this.

There is tweak to avoid CE dimming in std. mode, but some users are reporting this is not working on latest 2013 led models -you can read here .

It is true, film mode has no CE dimming but black is grey so picture is washed. But it is point of view what is worse, deep black where you cannot not see small objects (dimming fools you), or have a film mode which is supposed for calibration but worse black level. In sum, calibrating std mode is PITA...

·
Registered
12,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxio  /t/1496473/contrast-issue-with-un60f7050af-samsung-60-inch-240hz-led#post_23874889

Hello, I just purchased a UN60F7050AF - Samsung 60 inch 240hz LED. When I am in Standard picture mode something strange happens. When there is a dark background, the writing and logos on the screen also get darker to match the background. This is noted mostly in commercials when watching ESPN. On ESPN there is the bottomline that shows all the sports scores, and when it goes to commercial the bottomline is still there. Well when the commercials are dark, the bottomline also turns darker. This is really annoying and happens a lot during commercials on any channel because a lot of commercials end with a dark background with some information, and the information always turns abnormally dark. I have turned dynamic contrast off and it still happens....I can't seem to find a setting to eliminate this effect. Oddly enough it doesn't happen on Movie picture mode, only on Standard picture mode. Unfortunately Movie picture mode has a kind of washed out picture quality to it, so I don't like it. Can anybody provide some advice please?

It's (backlight) auto-dimming. You should just use Movie mode and copy in all the settings you typically use for standard mode to get it to match (keeping in mind you need to set both contrast and color higher in movie mode to match standard mode).

The only way to turn it off in Standard mode is to send a RGB Full Range signal (0-255). If you do so, make sure HDMI Black Level is set to Normal so that the TV is expecting those levels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

thanks for the responses guys. I am going to have a calibration guy come and calibrate. Do you think if calibrated the movie mode can look as good as standard without ce dimming?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts