AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still confused, and probably not alone - what projector ratings should I look for to get good shadow detail?

For example, I borrowed a NEC LT81 (DLP, 800x600, 800 Lumens, ANSI contrast 250:1, On/off contrast 500:1). Black was slightly lighter than a shadow from my hand, but not much. The problem was TOO MUCH black; all dark colors became black, losing parts of faces/scenes - basically unacceptable to me. "500:1" certainly sounds sufficient, but it would have driven me crazy eventually. A FP has to be better than a TV; you're magnifying all the faults.

Practically every FP review comments on how "black" the proj can go, but does that directly relate to ability to show shadow detail? Is the contrast ratio number a direct measure, or is it a combination with the lumen output? Why don't reviewers show a grayscale (Avia?) output for tested projectors - is it too depressing? Which numbers do I look for, if I have to buy "unseen" as most of us do?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
IMO the most important consideration for good shadow detail is the ability to modify the gamma table inside the projector. This is far more important than Lumens or Contrast (for this particular consideration).

Unfortunately, this capability is difficult to determine for most projectors. In fact, I dont know of a single projector that ships with this ability built into it. Aftermarket gamma correction is available for the UP1100/LT100/DX1, as well as the DILA projectors.

Any others?

Andy K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.