AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Plus UP1100 - been using it for about 4 years now. I'm building a new home and figure it's time to upgrade.

The 'stats' for my Plus are: 1000 ANSI lumens, 500:1 full on/off contrast, 400:1 ANSI contract ratio. 1024x768 chip. I'm using a panamorph anamorphic lens to fit my 1.78 screen.

I'm considering the Sony HS20 which states 1400 ANSI lumens, and 1300:1 Full on/off contrast, 1386x788 pixels. This is primarily due to native 16:9 format, quiet fan, and cost.

I've not watched any LCDs in the last few years. I understand that modern DLPs have higher contrast ratios, but I'd very much like to stay under 3K if possible. I'm not that unhappy with the contrast ratio I have now (I guess you get used to what you have).

Would it be fair to assume that I'll get a better dark detail picture from this new projector even though it's LCD? Is the increase in Lumens enough to notice? How important are the new screen technologies (firehawk, greyhawk, etc) to these modern LCD projectors.

As you can see, i don't buy a new projector very often like some of you lucky blokes. I appreciate all comments you could provide to help me make a wise decision.

I know I can spend more and get a better picture, but just like when I shopped for audio equipment I'm careful not to listen/view to anything I can't afford. Same reason I don't test drive Porsche - why torture yourself. I'm -definitely- in the 5K or less crowd. I could spend more, but don't chose to.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody can give any input on this? Surely some of you Plus1100/NECLT100 folks have upgraded in the last few years.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PAP
Nobody can give any input on this? Surely some of you Plus1100/NECLT100 folks have upgraded in the last few years.
I can tell you next year...I upgraded my Plus UP1100(t) to a Sharp M20X last year. I can tell you that the old 75u was almost a contender and its specs (1200 lumens, MLA, XGA, forgot the CR) are not nearly as good as what we expect for the HS20.

The 75u had better colors than either the UP1100 or M20X. Still had visible (to me) screendoor despite MLA and had FPN effects. Not as good HDTV performance (either with defocus or not) despite the same resolution.

Poorer blacks/CR but not horrid compated to a stock UP1100. Not as good as a Thumperized UP1100 but also much brighter. If you're used to the 600 lumens or so of a Thumperized UP1100 you can probably live with a filter if you wanted.

The Z2 and HS20 is on my short list to view for the next projector. I'm hoping with the greater resolution, improvements in fill and other LCD advances that the screendoor becomes a non-issue and the fpn isn't as annoying.

The LT240/260 is a nice improvement over the UP1100 from what I remember. Its been a long time. I have not seen the LT240Z. The M20X is also a nice improvement and is a lot cheaper these days (under $2K) than when I purchased.

Regards,

Nigel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.