AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems we are so hung on specs now we are not taking things into perspective. Our main goal has always been to recreate the movie theater experience at home. Have we not exceeded that at home now? The first big jump was pro logic(wow, has it been 12 years now?) then Dolby Digital, and now Dts 6.1. A 100" picture was just something most of us dreamed about 10 years ago, now lo and behold, we can buy a very good 100" picture for below two thousand dollars. I'm currently waiting to get my Hs10 in January and getting my dvds ready, but I'm sure I'll be like everybody else, seeing what is coming out, and seeing how my Hs10 can be improved. So my question is what is the contrast ratio we see at the theater? I know there were many movies I watched in the past that had little shadow detail, especially submarine movies(Crimson tide, U571). We seem to be dwelling on contrast ratios but are they not better than we are seeing at our local theater?

·
Registered
522 Posts
It depends on the theater. Most theaters don't display the films properly, choosing to save money on lamps by dimming the picture. Frankly, I think the picture quality in the theater really stinks. 90% of the time I go to the cinema, the picture is out of focus, not masked correctly, or some fool leaves the light on in the projection booth and creates a big washed out spot on the screen. Add to this all of the people who insist on talking through the film. They ask "what did he say?" and by the time the person explains what was just said, they missed the next 10 seconds of dialog and then they're asking questions for the whole movie.

Cinema courtesy rule #1: if you miss something in a movie, just keep quiet and sit tight, chances are you'll figure it out before too long, and you won't miss more and distract the other movie-goers by asking questions.

Cinema courtesy rule #2: if you don't know what is going to happen next....see rule #1. Filmmakers rarely want you to know exactly why each event occurs as it happens, or what is going to happen next and why. The suspense and discovery in the plot are what make movies stimulating.

Sorry, just a couple of pet peeves.

I prefer to see movies at home, unless there is a new release that I'm really anxious about. The picture quality, sound quality, and overall viewing environment are far superior in my home. Not only that, but I can drink beer while I'm watching ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricT43
Sorry, just a couple of pet peeves.
If I really wanted to re-create that movie theater experience I would throw a twenty out the door just before I sat down and then spill a Coke on the floor at my feet so my shoes stuck to the floor:confused:... but seriously yes the picture on the big screen does NOT match up to the one in my home or even close unless I go to the newest of theaters ... and then they do have some pretty good technology but what is that one out of 10???

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
See http://www.kodak.se/US/en/motion/new...k/dec99P.shtml

10,000:1 is pretty close to direct view CRT, but 6,000:1 WITH adequate light output would yield a great picture for even low APL scenes. That is the lusciousness of CRT - but digital is gaining ground, hopefully fast enough to satisfy people who have been spoilt by their home theater outperforming the local cineplex.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I really like that site! There are some good tips that apply for home theater as well. Now if theater managers would just read it!!

Ryan

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Unfortunately, most theatres fall short of even the minimum 400:1 screen contrast ratio specified by SMPTE Standard 196M. "

Not much of a standard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.