AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if the advertised Contrast Ratios of the new 720p projectors from Panny and Sayno are listed at 2000:1 CR, and the 4805 from Infocus is also listed as a 2000:1 CR, does this mean we should be seeing virtually identical performance when it comes to black levels on all of these projectors?

The only real differences should be the inherent differences in the projection technologies, right? ie: LCD vs DLP.....

?????

Assuming the quoted CR is accurate. (By accurate, I mean accuracy of scale....ie: if a 2000:1 CR really means a real world number of 1200:1)

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
No. Not necessarily...The actual measured contrast ratio's for each projector may be different from their rated spec, however, it appears that the Panny is pretty close to rated spec. In fact, after calibration and tweaking with a colour filter, some are able to achieve higher than the rated spec, which is very good to hear. Also the black levels of these PJ's will be different, presumably with the 4805 having better black levels. These projectors may still look somewhat similar though. The 4805 is a 16:9 DLP PJ with 854x480 resolution and a six-segment, 4x speed color wheel. Lumens rated at 750 ANSI lumens and contrast is a very high 2200:1. AE700 is a 16:9 LCD PJ with a 1280 x 720 resolution and smooth screen technology. Lumens rated at 1000 and contrast rated at 2000:1. If you check the tests and reviews out there, you'll see that the AE700 is fairing quite well. I think these two PJ's could possibly comparable to one another in overall picture quality. Long and short of it is that the 4805 will still make some people see rainbows and there is some screen door on the 4805. Black level may still be better on the 4805 than the AE700. The AE700 will look better with HD signals since its res is HD at 720p. I've seen the 4805 and it looked good with nice black levels and minimal screen door, although the screen was quite small (I'll guess 67" diagonal) but unfortunately I saw rainbows.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.