AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how we should look at contrast. A jump from 125:1 to 500:1 is like going from 500:1 to 2000:1, and so fourth. Real measured contrast though, not just from specs.

125:1 older genration LCDs

250:1 LCD, DILA

500:1 LCD, DILA, DLP

1000:1 DLP

2000:1 DLP

4000:1 FILM??

8000:1 CRT

16000:1 CRT

32000:1 CRT

infinity: CRT

Two more steps up and the contrast of DLPs would be comparable to a CRT unit!

James

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Sounds fine with me, although last time I checked, 32000 * 2 was not infinity :) Just kidding of course, I know what you mean.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
James,

On one level I agree. Technically, your numbers are correct for what we get from the screen.

However, I think it could be a little more complicated than this if we are trying to quantify the user experience. Let's say the question is, "How often do I notice that the blacks aren't black?" It is possible that the answer might be 5% of the time with a 2000:1 CR projector and 1% or the time with a 4000:1 CR projector (of course this would vary by person, though). Then we could say the CR was twice as good, or 5 times as good depending on how we wanted to think about it.

Also, when there is any ambient light in the room the CR from the screen is of course different than that of the projector. I'm sure you know this and I'm stating the obvious here.

All this said, the point that CR should be viewed logarithmically is a good one.

If we take William Phelps opinion and measurements (I think he is about the most qualified person around here) then a G90 is about 8500:1 when calibrated "correctly". That would put DLP about 2 steps away from a high end CRT in this department. I'll guess close to 3000:1 measurable CR from a Sharp 12k, which would be less than 2 steps away.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sony is claiming 1300:1 for their new HS20 LCD projector. I believe the new Panasonic AE500 and Sanyo Z2 are also claiming contrast in this range. Of course we won't know for sure until they start shipping and experts can test the claims, but it seems that LCD is moving into the 1000:1 range with the latest generation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.